Portera Notches 13 Digs and Cochrane Hits .214
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Catholic downed host Washington College, 3-0, (25-17, 25-14, 25-22) on Wednesday night in a non-conference volleyball match at the Cain Athletic Center in the home opener for WC. The Cardinals improve to 6-3 on the year, while the Shorewomen drop to 2-6.
Catholic 3 Washington College 0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-22)
How It Happened
- Catholic won the first five points of the opening set and never trailed on its way to an eight-point win. The Cardinals, who led by as many as 10 points won it a service error by the Shorewomen.
- In the second set, the Cardinals slowly pulled away to go on to an 11-point win. Catholic would clinch the set on a Patricia Martinez kill.
- Trailing 14-7 in the third set following an assisted block by the Cardinals' Joya Libbus and Martinez, the Shorewomen would go on a 12-4 run to take a 19-18 lead on a kill by Abby Smith. Catholic was down 21-20 after a finisher by Washington's Courtney Maxwell before winning five of the last six points to win the set and match. Josephine Morrill netted a kill to put Catholic ahead 22-21 and leading 24-22, a Martinez kill ended the contest.
For The Shorewomen (2-6)
- Smith (seven kills and three aces to tie for match-high), Olivia Portera (13 digs), Lauren Zedlar (10 assists), Jenna Daunoras (three blocks)
- Shorewomen had seven service aces and four blocks in the match.
- WC hit .022 in the contest.
For Catholic (6-3)
- Morrill (match-topping 17 kills and hit .353), Martinez (14 kills), Isabelle Cooper (match-best four blocks), Maria Gonzalez (32 assists and three aces), Caroline Kelly (contest-high 14 digs)
- Catholic had five aces and seven blocks in the victory.
- The guests hit .267 on the evening.
- Laura Cochrane was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman Player of the Match during the broadcast as she .214 on the night.
9/14 @ St. Mary's (Md.) – 11:00 a.m. (Non-Conference match)
9/14 v. Hood at St. Mary's (Md.) – 1:00 p.m. (Non-Conference match)