WC Downs Rivier In Second Match of the Day
SAN JUAN, P.R. – The Washington College volleyball team started its 2019 season by splitting a pair of matches in Puerto Rico. The Shorewomen dropped their first match of the day to Politecnica (P.R.) in three sets (25-23, 25-13, 25-22) before rallying to top Rivier in four sets (23-25, 25-15, 25-13, 25-19) as they hit .506 in the win over Rivier.
Politecnica (P.R.) 3 Washington College 0 (25-23, 25-13, 25-22)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen nearly took the opening set despite having only five kills, but the Beavers were able to capture the opening set by two points.
- In the second set, Politecnica needed just seven kills to win by 12 points as they hit .294 in the set.
- Each team had 12 kills in the third and final set, but despite committing four more attack errors (five to one), the Beavers ended the contest with a three-point win.
For The Shorewomen (0-1)
- Abby Hilty (team-high 16 digs), Laura Cochrane (match-high eight kills for career-best), Isabella Sansanelli (three blocks to tie for match-best), Courtney Maxwell (two service aces).
- Washington had four aces and six blocks.
- Team hit .200, including .324 in the third set.
For Politecnica (P.R.)
- Team hit .235, served up 12 aces and had five blocks.
Washington College 3 Rivier 1 (23-25, 25-15, 25-13, 25-19)
How It Happened
- The Raiders hit .300 in the first set to come away with the two-point win.
- Washington hit .538 with 16 kills on its way to winning the second set by 10 points.
- In the third set, the Shorewomen were strong again hitting the ball as they hit the ball on a .474 clip with zero errors on their way to winning by a dozen.
- WC closed out the match with another strong hitting set as they hit .371 and netted 14 kills to win the final set by a half-dozen.
For The Shorewomen (1-1)
- Abby Smith (14 kills, zero errors, hit .560 and served six aces to tie personal-best), Cassie Kowalski (10 kills), Sansanelli (three blocks), Hilty (10 digs).
- Team hit .506 in the contest with only five hitting errors, notched 10 rejections and served 12 aces.
For Rivier (1-2)
- Sydney Racevicius (team-highs of eight kills and three aces), Olivia Garand (match-best 22 digs).
- Raiders had a .209 attack percentage, three blocks and seven aces.
9/1 vs. Rivier – 11:00 a.m. (at San Juan, P.R.)
9/1 vs. Central Bayamon (P.R.) – 1:00 p.m. (at San Juan, P.R.)
- Second and final day for team in Puerto Rico.