Team Hits .259 in Victory
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Host Washington College hit .259 in a 3-0 (25-17, 25-9, 25-19) victory over visiting Immaculata on Tuesday evening in a non-conference volleyball match at the Cain Athletic Center. The Shorewomen, who never trailed in the match, improve to 8-15 overall, while the Mighty Macs fall to 4-13.
Washington College 3 Immaculata 0 (25-17, 25-9, 25-19)
How It Happened
- In the first set, Washington raced out to an 8-3 lead on a ball handling error by Immaculata as the hosts never trailed in the opening set. The Shorewomen, who led by as many as nine points at 16-7 following an attack error by the Mighty Macs, finished the set on a kill by Cassie Kowalski. WC hit .364 in the set and had 10 kills before recording its first attack error.
- The Shorewomen jumped out to a 16-2 lead in the second set following a finisher by Abby Smith. Jenna Daunoras clinched the second set for Washington with a kill as it won the first seven points of the second.
- Leading 19-15 in the third set, the Shorewomen won five straight points to lead 24-15 on an attack miscue by Immaculata. A service error by the Mighty Macs ended the set and match.
For The Shorewomen (8-15)
- Smith (match-high 14 kills, hit .310 and team-best eight digs), Kowalski (nine kills and hit .692), Isabella Sansanelli (three blocks to tie for match-best), Jensyn Hartzell (11 assists), Lauren Zedlar (14 assists and two aces), Maria Summerville (career-high 12 assists), Lizzie Baden (two aces)
- Shorewomen had five blocks and service aces in the match.
- Washington hit .259 in the match, its second highest hitting total of the season.
For Immaculata (4-13)
- Shelby Belk (seven kills to lead team and three blocks to lead team), Madi Curley (10 assists and 10 digs), Olivia Zdradzinski (contest-best 11 digs)
- The Mighty Macs hits .012 in the match.
- Immaculata had two aces and three blocks.
- Smith was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman of the Match during the broadcast.
- Tonight was the third all-time meeting with the Shorewomen winning all three matches in sweeps.
- Washington's .259 attack percentage was its second highest of the year as the team hit .260 in its win over Colby-Sawyer on August 31.
- Shorewomen Volleyball and Alpha Chi Omega teamed up tonight for the Purple Out Match in order to raise awareness about the issue of domestic violence as October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
10/19 @ Alvernia – 4:00 p.m. (Non-Conference match)
- Shorewomen have downed the Golden Wolves each of the past three years.