SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Host Swarthmore got a match-high 17 kills from Mehra den Braven in a 3-0 (25-9, 25-16, 25-14) win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference volleyball match on Wednesday night at Tarble Pavilion. Swarthmore improves to 11-3 overall and 4-1 in the Centennial, while the Shorewomen drop to 6-12 and 1-4 respectively.
Swarthmore 3 Washington College 0 (25-9, 25-16, 25-14)
How It Happened
- The Garnet won 15 of the first 19 points in the first set, capped on a Liz Conca service ace, on their way to a 25-9 win. An attack error by Washington ended the first set.
- Swarthmore trailed 6-5 in the second set following a kill by Washington's Abby Smith before going on a 13-2 run to take an 18-8 lead on an assisted by Emma Morgan-Bennett and den Braven. A service miscue by the Shorewomen concluded the second set.
- In the third set, the Garnet scored the first four points and never trailed in the set on their way to the win. An assisted block by Morgan-Bennett and Alyssa Nathan ended the set and match.
For The Shorewomen (6-12, 1-4 CC)
- Lauren Zedlar (eight assists and six digs to lead team), Smith (six kills and two blocks to lead squad)
- Shorewomen had one service ace and two blocks in the match as they hit .013 as a team.
For Swarthmore (11-3, 4-1 CC)
- den Braven (contest-best 17 kills; three blocks), Morgan-Bennett (five blocks to lead all players), Nathan (match-topping 33 assists), Katie Silva (three aces to lead all players), Sarah Girard (match-best 13 digs)
- Swarthmore had 10 aces and six blocks in the win, while hitting .317.
10/6 v. Dickinson – 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Shorewomen topped the Red Devils in four sets last year.