Sansanelli Tallies 10 Kills and Match-High Seven Blocks; Hartzell Tallies First Career Double-Double
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting St. Mary's (Md.) won the final two sets to down host Washington College, 3-1 (25-22, 18-25, 26-24, 25-19), on Tuesday night at the Cain Athletic Center in a non-conference volleyball match. The Seahawks improve to 8-4 on the year, while the Shorewomen drop to 4-8. It was the home opener for the Shorewomen.
St. Mary's (Md.) 3 Washington College 1 (25-22, 18-25, 26-24, 25-19)
How It Happened
- In the first set, the Seahawks jumped out to an 11-5 lead following a Mia Griffiths kill before the Shorewomen won nine of the next 10 points to take a 14-12 lead on a ball handling error by the guests. Trailing 16-14, St. Mary's went on an 11-6 run to close out the set and win by three. The Seahawks' Taylor Wigglesworth ended the set with a kill.
- Washington overcame a slow start in the second set to win by seven to even the match. Trailing 13-7, the Shorewomen went on a 18-5 run to end the set. An attack error by the Seahawks gave Washington the lead for good at 15-14 and a Kaitlyn Marino kill ended the second.
- The Shorewomen led 23-22 in the third set following an attack miscue by St. Mary's before the Seahawks rallied to capture the set by taking four of the final five points. Tied at 24-24, Meghan Kelley notched a kill to give the guests a 25-24 lead and Kelley finished the set with a finisher to give St. Mary's a 26-24 win.
- Leading 17-15 in the fourth set, the Seahawks ended the match by scoring eight of the final 12 points with Kelley closing the contest with a kill.
For The Shorewomen (4-8)
- Isabella Sansanelli (10 kills to tie career-high and match-high seven blocks), Jensyn Hartzell (12 assists and 10 digs for first career double-double), Cassie Kowalski (team-high 12 digs), Abby Smith (11 digs and four blocks), Lauren Zedlar (20 assists), Jenna Daunoras (four blocks)
- Shorewomen had 11 blocks and five service aces in the match.
- Washington hit .122 in the match.
For St. Mary's (8-4)
- Kelley (match-high 21 kills to lead team), Ellyse Sutliff (12 kills), Griffiths (43 assists and 15 digs), Marissa Dangler (match-highs of 21 digs and three aces), Julia Sledz (three aces to tie for match-high and 11 digs), Emily Benedict (12 digs)
- The Seahawks hits .091 in the match.
- St. Mary's had 10 aces and six blocks in the win.
- Sansanelli was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman of the Match during the broadcast.
- First meeting between the two Free State colleges since 2012 and the first meeting between the two in Chestertown in 15 years.
9/19 v. Bryn Mawr – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Shorewomen won in three sets last season and have won the prior three meetings.