Sansanelli Leads All Players With Five Blocks and Zedlar Serves Up Contest-High Three Aces
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Host Gettysburg got a match-high 13 kills in addition to 10 digs from Francesca Garison in a 3-1 (25-16, 25-22, 18-25, 25-13) win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference volleyball match at Bream Gym on Saturday afternoon. Gettysburg improves to 11-0 overall and 1-0 in the Centennial, while the Shorewomen drop to 4-7 and 0-1 respectively.
Gettysburg 3 Washington College 1 (25-16, 25-22, 18-25, 25-13)
How It Happened
- Washington took a 14-12 lead in the first set following a kill by Isabella Sansanelli before Gettysburg closed out the set on a 13-2 run. An attack error gave the Bullets the lead for the rest of the set at 15-14 and an attack miscue by the Shorewomen clinched the nine-point win for the hosts.
- The Shorewomen scored six straight points to take a 12-10 lead on a Sansanelli kill and led to a timeout by the Bullets. However, Gettysburg responded with an 8-1 run to take an 18-13 lead after a hitting miscue by Washington. Trailing 23-18, the Shorewomen won four of the next five points to trim the lead to 24-22 on a Lizzie Baden finisher, but a ball handling error by WC on the next point ended the set.
- In the third set, Washington stayed alive with a seven-point win. The Shorewomen jumped out to a 17-11 lead on a Baden kill that capped a 13-7 run. The set was clinched following a hitting error by Gettysburg. The Shorewomen hit .257 in the set with 13 kills.
- Gettysburg scored the fourth set's first five points and never trailed on its way to the set and match as Kasey Higgins ended the contest with a kill.
For The Shorewomen (4-7, 0-1 CC)
- Lauren Zedlar (13 assists and three aces), Jensyn Hartzell (13 assists), Kaitlyn Marino (11 digs), Sansanelli (match-high five blocks)
- Shorewomen had six service aces and five blocks in the match as they hit .058 as a team.
For Gettysburg (11-0, 1-0 CC)
- Sarah Ellis (contest-best 29 assists), Garison (match-high 13 kills and 10 digs), Caroline Sequeira (21 digs to lead all players)
- Gettysburg had three aces and four blocks in the win, while hitting .185.
- Marino tied her season-high in digs this afternoon with 11. She also had 11 on August 31 in a four-set win over Colby-Sawyer.
9/18 v. St. Mary's (Md.) – 7:00 p.m. (Non-Conference match)
- Home opener and first meeting since 2012.