Summerville Sets Career High In Assists In The Loss
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Swarthmore got a match high 12 kills from Mehra Den Braven en route to a 3-0 (25-12, 25-12, 25-23) win over host Washington College in a Centennial Conference volleyball match played tonight inside Cain Athletic Center.
Swarthmore 3, Washington College 0 (25-12, 25-12, 25-23)
How It Happened
- The Garnet took advantage of 14 total errors by the Shorewomen to take the opening set 25-12, capped off on a kill from Sarah Wallace.
- Washington held an 8-6 lead in the second set following a kill from Kaitlyn Marino before Swarthmore finished the set on a 19-4 run to win the set by the same score of 25-12. Wallace gave the Garnet the lead for good with a kill before Malia Scott and Isabelle Andrews ended the set with a blocked shot.
- The Shorewomen led 14-13 in the third set after a kill from Lizzie Baden, but Swarthmore responded with a 5-0 run to grab an 18-14 lead courtesy of a kill from Olivia Leventhal.
- Washington would later tie the set at 23-23, but the Garnet would score the last two points of the set to win the set 25-23 and the match 3-0.
For the Shorewomen (15-9, 2-6 Centennial Conference)
- Baden (team high five kills), Marino (team high 10 digs), Alaina Geissberger (team high three blocks), Maria Summerville (team and career high 10 assists, all coming in the third set).
- The Shorewomen hit just .028 in the loss, including -.098 in the first set and -.043 in the second set.
- Washington served up three aces in the match while committing seven service errors.
For Swarthmore (16-6, 5-2 Centennial Conference)
- Den Braven (match high 12 kills), Emma Morgan-Bennett (eight kills, two blocks), Scott (match high 27 assists to go along with 13 digs), Sarah Girard (match high 18 digs), Wallace (11 digs, three blocks).
- The Garnet hit .189 in the win, including .333 in the second set.
- Swarthmore served up six aces while committing only four service errors.
- Summerville was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Match on the broadcast of the contest.
- The loss eliminates the Shorewomen from playoff contention in the Centennial Conference.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/21 v. Elizabethtown - 12:00 p.m.
10/21 v. Hood - 4:00 p.m.
- The Shorewomen will be playing Elizabethtown for the second time this season after falling to the Blue Jays in straight sets back on September 23rd at the Knights Invitational played at Arcadia. Later, Washington will play Hood for the first time since 2013.
- Saturday will also be the team's Senior Day.