Shorewomen Swept by McDaniel, Sweep Marywood
WESTMINSTER, Md. — Washington College senior setter Taylor Horan (San Diego, Calif./Point Loma) became the second player in team history with at least 3,000 career assists as the Shorewomen split a tri-match at McDaniel today. The Shorewomen dropped a Centennial Conference match to McDaniel, 25-23, 25-13, 25-16, before bouncing back with a 25-22, 25-21, 25-21 win over Marywood in non-conference action.
McDaniel 3, Washington College 0 (25-23, 25-13, 25-16)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen held a 20-14 lead in the first set before the Green Terror scored 11 of the final 14 points to post the 25-23 set win. Allie Lugar ended the first set with a kill.
- An 11-3 run midway through the second set put the Green Terror firmly in control en route to a 25-13 set win, capped off by an Emma Lorenzen kill.
- The third set was tied at 13-13 before the Green Terror ran off five straight points to take a 18-13 lead on a Marlowe Embry kill. The Green Terror led by at least four points the rest of the way.
For McDaniel (13-1, 3-0 Centennial Conference)
- Embry (match-high 13 kills, 12 digs), Hayley Mills (match-high 5 blocks), Lorenzen (6 kills), Gayle Edelstein (14 assists, match-high 3 aces)
Washington College 3, Marywood 0 (25-22, 25-21, 25-21)
How It Happened
- Horan picked up her 3,000th career assist on a kill by Lizzie Baden that gave the Shorewomen a 20-14 lead in the first set. The Shorewomen never trailed in the set, but never led by more than six. An Alaina Geissberger kill finished the set.
- Washington raced out to an 8-1 lead in the second set. The Pacers scored the next five points to get back to within two, but the Shorewomen countered with nine of the next 10 points to take a 17-7 lead on a service ace by Sarah Bentley. Marywood fought back to get within two at 22-20 on a block by Mikayla Attwood and Peri Sheerin, but the Shorewomen scored three of the final four points of the set to go up, two sets to none.
- Marywood held a 15-9 lead in the third set before the Shorewomen went on a 13-4 run to take a 22-19 lead on a kill by Kowalski. Washington led by at least a pair of points the rest of the way.
For the Shorewomen (13-5)
- Baden (match-high 10 kills), Abby Smith (9 kills, 10 digs), Geissberger (8 kills, match-high 3 blocks), Horan (match-high 26 assists, 11 digs), Bentley (match-high 4 aces)
For Marywood (2-11)
- Gabriella Santos (8 kills), Sheerin (7 kills), Jordan Vossler (match-high 20 digs), Annie Heyen (22 assists, 8 digs)
- Caitlin Ward '10 is the only other player in Washington College volleyball history with at least 3,000 career assists. Her total of 3,302, amassed from 2006-09, stands as the school record. Horan finished today with 3,015 career assists.
- With the win over Marywood, the Shorewomen surpassed their win total from all of last season, when they finished with a 12-13 record.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/4 v. Marymount - 7:00 p.m.