Smith Posts Match High With Five Aces
BRYN MAWR, Pa. — The visiting Washington College volleyball team picked up their first Centennial Conference win of the season, sweeping host Bryn Mawr in straight sets (25-16, 25-9, 25-21) in a match played tonight at the Class of 1958 Gym in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. With the win, the Shorewomen are now 10-1 after 11 matches for the first time in program history.
Washington College 3, Bryn Mawr 0 (25-16, 25-9, 25-21)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the opening set and led by as many as nine points en route to the nine point win. An attack error from Bryn Mawr ended the opening set, in which the Shorewomen hit .214 compared to -.091 for the Owls.
- Washington led 14-8 in the second set before going on a set ending 11-1 run to win the set by 16. A bad set by Bryn Mawr ended the second set, in which the Shorewomen hit .314 compared to just .033 for the Owls.
- Washington led 16-13 in the third set following a service ace from Emily Houck before the Owls scored the next five points to take their first lead of any set at 18-16 following a service ace from Rachel Bacchus.
- Bryn Mawr led 19-17 before Washington scored the next five points to take the lead for good at 22-19 following a Maggie Pietrucha ace.
- Bryn Mawr would score the next two points to trim the lead to 22-21, but the Shorewomen scored the final three points of the match, the last point coming on an Owls attack error.
For the Shorewomen (10-1, 1-1 Centennial Conference)
- Abby Smith (seven kills, match high five aces, team high nine digs), Lizzie Baden (seven kills), Taylor Horan (match high 18 assists).
- The Shorewomen hit .239 as a team in the win and served up 12 aces.
For Bryn Mawr (1-8, 0-2 Centennial Conference)
- Camille Baechler (match highs of eight kills and 10 digs), Bacchus (team high three aces), Sienna Burnett (five kills).
- The Owls hit .014 as a team in the loss and had just three aces, while committing eight service errors.
- Tonight's win was the third straight win for the Shorewomen over Bryn Mawr, all in straight sets.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/22 @ Arcadia - 5:00 p.m.
9/22 v. SUNY Canton - 7:00 p.m (at Arcadia)
- The Shorewomen will be competing in their opening two matches of the Knights Invitational, which will also see them play Elizabethtown and New Rochelle on Saturday.