Washington Hits .316 In Three-Set Sweep of Ursinus
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Visiting Washington College hit .316 en route to a 3-0 (25-16, 25-15, 26-24) victory over host Ursinus on Wednesday night in a Centennial Conference volleyball match at Helfferich Hall. The Shorewomen have now downed the Bears five straight years and since 2004 Washington is 10-3 versus Ursinus.
Washington College 3 (25-16, 25-15, 26-24)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen won eight of the first 10 points to take control of the first set, capping the run on an ace by Amy Rohn. Taylor Horan clinched the set with a kill from Lizzie Baden as WC won the final four points of the set to win by nine.
- In the second set, the Shorewomen jumped out to a 9-2 lead on a Rohn service ace. An attack error by the Bears ended the set.
- The Shorewomen and Bears were tied 24-24 in the third set when the guests won the final two points to win the set and match. A service errors by the hosts gave WC the lead at 25-24 and Marino ended the match with a kill with Sarah Bentley chalking up the assist.
For The Shorewomen (10-11, 2-5 CC)
- Utchen (11 digs to all players), Marino (12 kills to lead all participants), Horan (32 for tops in match), Alaina Geissberger (four blocks to tally contest best and hit .583 with eight kills)
- Geissberger factored into four of the Shorewomen's five blocks in the match.
- Utchen, Rohn and Cassie Kowalski had two service aces each to account for all six of WC's aces.
For Ursinus (8-11, 1-7 CC)
- Kelly Piortowicz (15 assists and seven kills to lead Bears), Sydney Gonzalez (10 digs to lead team)
- Ursinus had two blocks.
- The Bears hit .286 in the third set, but just .121 for the match.
- Lauren Novotny and Emily van Mulbregt had two aces each to lead Ursinus as the hosts have five aces as a team.
- The Shorewomen have downed the Bears for the fifth straight time for the second time in the all-time series. Washington took five in a row from Ursinus from 1993-95.
10/22 v. Franklin & Marshall – 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
10/22 v. Salisbury – 4:00 p.m. (non-conference match)
- Shorewomen swept Salisbury last season in Salisbury.
- Senior Day for Washington as they will honor prior to the F&M match Utchen, Rachel Baker and Alexis Jordan.