Baden Notches 12 Kills To Lead Shorewomen
DOVER, Del. – The Washington College volleyball team traveled Wesley on Tuesday night and downed its Delmarva rival, 3-0 (25-16, 25-23, 29-27), in a non-conference volleyball match at Wentworth Gymnasium.
Washington College 3 Wesley 0 (25-16, 25-23, 29-27)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen took control of the first set early by winning the first three points and grabbing an 8-2 lead on a Rachel Baker service ace. Washington secured the first set win on a Cassie Kowalski kill as the Shorewomen hit .312 in the opening set.
- Wesley took a 20-17 lead in the second set following a kill by Codi Ziolkowski and lead to a WC timeout. The Shorewomen answered with a 5-1 run to take a 22-21 lead on a Lizzie Baden kill. The two teams were tied at 23-23 when Washington won the last two points to win the set. A service error by the Wolverines gave the visitors a 24-23 lead and an attack error by the hosts gave the Shorewomen a two-point win.
- In the third set, Wesley took an 18-13 lead following a kill by Tionne Graves-Brown. The Shorewomen however would win 11 of the next 17 points to take a 24-23 lead on a Baden kill. After the Wolverines tied the set at 24-24 on a Washington attack miscue, the teams would trade the next six points and were tied at 27-27. Kaitlyn Marino would give Washington a 28-27 lead on an unassisted kill and Baden clinched the set and match on a kill with Taylor Horan notching the assist.
For The Shorewomen (9-10)
- Baden (12 kills for team-high), Marino (13 digs to lead team), Utchen (10 digs), Horan (33 assists to lead all players), Rachel Baker (match-topping three aces), Alaina Geissberger (four blocks to lead all players)
- Shorewomen had seven service aces and just four service errors in the match.
- Washington hit .257 in the win. In addition to hitting .312 in the first set, the Shorewomen hit .222 in the second and .244 in the third.
- Geissberger factored into four of the Shorewomen's six blocks in the win.
For Wesley (9-12)
- Graves-Brown (13 kills to tie for team lead and 11 digs), Jessica Tynes (13 kills to tie for team best and 11 digs), Kristin Wissler (match-best 14 digs), Beth Schlecker (20 assists to lead Wolverine), Lindsay Burg (19 assists)
- Wesley had four aces and two blocks.
- The Wolverines hit .189 in the match, but hit .244 in the second set and .255 in the third set.
- It was the first meeting between the Delmarva rivals in four years.
- Washington now leads the all-time series 11-0 and has won 33 of the 34 sets all-time played by the two teams. The Wolverines won their lone set in 2008 when they took the second set by a 25-23 margin.
10/15 @ Dickinson – 2:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Shorewomen topped Dickinson last season in four sets and has won the prior three meetings.
- Washington has won four of the last five versus the Red Devils.