Bentley Notches Team-Best 14 Digs
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Swarthmore got a match-best 15 kills along with 11 digs from Sarah Wallace en route to a 3-0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-22) win over host Washington College on Tuesday night in Centennial Conference volleyball action at the Cain Athletic Center.
Swarthmore 3 Washington College 0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-22)
How It Happened
- Washington led 19-18 in the first set following a kill by Cassie Kowalski before Swarthmore won the final seven points of the set to achieve the opening set win. The Garnet had three blocks, two aces and two kills in the run, clinching the set on a kill by Mehra den Braven.
- The teams were tied at 7-7 in the second set when the Garnet went on a 4-0 run to take an 11-7 lead on a bad set by the Shorewomen and would not trail again in the set. Wallace would clinch the second on a kill.
- The Shorewomen came out strong in the third set, grabbing an 11-3 lead following a service error by Swarthmore. The Garnet would chip away at the lead and completed a 15-6 run on a Wallace ace to give the visitors an 18-17 lead. Washington would win four of the next six points to take a 21-20 lead on a kill by Kaitlyn Marino. However, Swarthmore would rally and finish the set and match with a 5-1 run. Elise Cummings would tally a finisher to give the Garnet a 22-21 lead and then she set up Wallace for the match-clinching kill to give the guests a three-point third set win.
For The Shorewomen (6-8, 1-4 CC)
- Taylor Horan (22 assists to lead all players), Marino (20 kills and 15 digs), Alaina Geissberger (match-best five blocks), Sarah Bentley (team-high 14 digs)
- Shorewomen had three service aces and eight blocks in the match.
For Swarthmore (12-2, 4-1 CC)
- Wallace (15 kills to lead all players and 11 digs), Malia Scott (16 assists and 10 digs), Sarah Girard (match-best 16 digs), Cummings (team-high 17 assists and match-best four aces), Emma Morgan-Bennett and Rachel Vresilovic (four blocks to lead all Garnet participants).
- The Garnet had seven aces and eight blocks in the win.
- Swarthmore hit .210 in the win, including.333 in the second set.
- Horan passed the 2,100 career assist mark with her 22 helpers and now has 2,117 assists in her career.
- Audrey Utchen, the program's all-time leader in digs notched her 1,400 career dig and now sits a 1,404 digs.
- There were 19 ties and eight lead changes in the match.
10/7 v. Penn State-Behrend – 6:00 p.m. and @ Neumann – 8:00 p.m. (Knights Fall Classic)
- First day of the classic hosted by Neumann.
- The Shorewomen downed Penn State-Behrend in five sets last season.
- WC is playing Neumann for the first time since 2012.