Utchen Matches Her Career-High In Digs With 27
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Muhlenberg trailed 14-10 in the fifth set to host Washington College and staved off five set and match points to earn a 21-19 victory in the fifth set and won the match, 3-2 (21-25, 31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 21-19) on Saturday afternoon in Centennial Conference volleyball action at the Cain Athletic Center.
Muhlenberg 3 Washington College 2 (21-25, 31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 21-19)
How It Happened
- Washington took a 14-10 lead in the fifth set following a service ace by Rachel Baker. Muhlenberg began its comeback on a Washington attack error and tied the set at 14-14 on a Kelly Tornetta kill.
- Cassie Kowalski gave the Shorewomen a 15-14 lead on a kill, but Tornetta evened the set at 15-15 on a finisher.
- The teams were tied at 19-19 when Tara Register tallied a kill to give the visitors a 20-19 lead and an attack error by the Shorewomen clinched the set and match for the Mules.
- The Shorewomen never trailed in the first set on their way to a four-point win. WC led by as many as six points at 23-17 and clinched the first on a Kowalski kill.
- Trailing 13-8 in the second set, WC went on a 15-5 run to take a 23-18 lead on a Kaitlyn Marino service ace. Washington led 24-22 on a Lizzie Baden block, but Muhlenberg won two straight points to tie the set at 24-24 on an attack error by WC. Leading 30-29, the Mules got an ace from Register to level the match at one set apiece.
- Leading 16-15 in the third set, the hosts went on a 9-6 run to end the third to win by four. An attack miscue by Muhlenberg gave WC a 2-1 lead.
- Tied 13-13 in the fourth set, an assisted block gave Muhlenberg a lead they'd never relinquish at 14-13. A kill by Erica Schultz clinched the fourth set and sent the match to a decisive fifth set.
For The Shorewomen (6-7, 1-3 CC)
- Taylor Horan (42 assists and 20 digs), Marino (20 kills and personal-high 15 digs), Audrey Utchen (27 digs to tie her career-high and lead team), Baker (16 digs), Kowalski (17 kills), Alaina Geissberger (match-best six blocks)
- Shorewomen had eight service aces and nine blocks in the match.
- Horan tallied her eighth double-double of the season, while Marino notched her fifth double-double of 2016.
For Muhlenberg (11-4, 3-1 CC)
- Maggie Esnetsvedt (20 kills and 16 digs), Tornetta (20 kills), Shannon Hubert (match-high 47 assists and 25 digs), Elizabeth Garrison (match-bests of 33 digs and four aces), Register (14 digs), Madison Forrest (four blocks to lead Mules)
- The Mules had 12 aces and nine blocks in the win.
- Muhlenberg hit .212 in its fourth set win and .194 in the fifth set.
- Marino (WC) and Enestvedt and Tornetta (Muhlenberg) had 20 kills to lead all players.
- There were 24 ties and seven lead changes in the match.
10/4 v. Swarthmore – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)