Utchen Leads All Players with Service Aces and Adds 17 Digs For WC
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Johns Hopkins got match-highs of 22 kills and 18 digs from Erica Johnston in a 3-1 (24-26, 25-20, 25-19, 25-21) win over host Washington College on Wednesday night in Centennial Conference volleyball action at the Cain Athletic Center.
Johns Hopkins 3 Washington College 1 (24-26, 25-20, 25-19, 25-21)
How It Happened
- Trailing 22-21 in the opening set, Washington won three straight points to take a 24-22 lead on a Kaitlyn Marino kill. Johns Hopkins would respond by winning the next two points to even the first at 24-24 on a Hannah Korslund kill. Cassie Kowalski gave the Shorewomen a 25-24 lead on a kill and Alexis Jordan tallied a kill to clinch the first set for WC.
- In the second set, the hosts took a 5-1 lead on an attack error by the Blue Jays before the visitors worked their way to grab a 16-15 lead in the second on an attack miscue by the Shorewomen. After Jordan notched a kill to level the set at 16-16, the Blue Jays went on a 9-4 run to tie the match. Ally Hirsch gave Hopkins the lead for good at 17-16 on a finisher and Johnston registered a kill to end the set.
- The Blue Jays snapped a 3-3 tie in the third set with a four-point run to take a 7-3 lead on a Elizabeth Wuerstle kill as Wuerstle had all four points in the runs coming on kills. Johns Hopkins never trailed the rest of the set and won the third on a Johnston kill.
- The fourth set, which had three lead changes and nine ties was tied at 20-20 when Hopkins closed out the set and match by winning five of the final six points. Louisa Kishton broke the tie on a kill and Hirsch closed out the contest with a kill.
For The Shorewomen (6-6, 1-2 CC)
- Taylor Horan (33 assists for tops in contest and 17 digs), Lizzie Baden (team-high 13 kills), Audrey Utchen (17 digs, six assists and five aces to lead all players),
- Shorewomen had nine service aces and three blocks in the match.
- Horan tallied her seventh double-double of the season.
For Johns Hopkins (8-3, 3-0 CC)
- Johnston (match-bests of 22 kills, 18 digs and .365 attack percentage, team-high four aces), Wuerstle (15 kills and 11 digs while hitting .353 in the match), Sarah Elnozahy (27 assists and 12 digs), Genevieve Thomas (11 digs), Hirsch (10 kills and three blocks), Sasha Gorelik (three blocks).
- The Blue Jays had nine aces and six blocks in the win.
- Gorelik and Hirsch led all players with three blocks.
- The visitors hit .294 in the match while holding the Shorewomen to a .131 attack percentage.
- Washington won its first set against Johns Hopkins at home since capturing the third set by a 15-6 score on October 19, 1994.
- There were 27 ties and eight lead changes in the match.
10/1 v. Muhlenberg – 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)