Shorewomen Blank Bullets, 9-0
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Senior Rachel Martinez (Los Angeles, Calif./Palos Verdes Peninsula) surpassed 100 career collegiate victories as the host Washington College women's tennis team clinched a spot in the Centennial Conference Tournament with a 9-0 home win over Gettysburg today at Schottland Tennis Center.
Washington College 9, Gettysburg 0
- Martinez teamed with Julie Lazer to record her 100th career victory at No. 1 as the tandem posted an 8-1 win over Samantha Boardman and Amanda Vinges.
- Krista Filiopoulos and Kiran Pant followed with an 8-3 win at No. 2 against Maria Martinovic and Maddie Class, while Riley Katzman and Paige Rebstock completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win at No. 3 against Erin Sweeney and Shaye Barnes. It was Rebstock's first collegiate victory.
- Ella Samer started off singles for the Shorewomen with a 6-1, 6-0, win against Class at No. 4. Lazer (currently ranked 18th in Atlantic South region in singles) followed by clinching the match with her 6-3, 6-0, victory against Martinovic at No. 1.
- Filiopoulos aded a 6-1, 6-1, win against Vinges at No. 3, while Martinez picked up a 6-1, 6-1, victory over Boardman at No. 2.
- Pant added a 6-3, 6-0, win over Sweeney at No. 6 and Sarah Bruno bested Ava Vanhelfteren, 6-1, 6-2, to complete the shutout for the Shorewomen.
- The Shorewomen, who are ranked 19th in the region, improved to 11-4 overall and 6-2 in conference matches with the win. The Bullets dropped to 4-10 and 3-5 with the loss.
- Martinez is the third Shorewoman this season to reach 100 career victories, joining classmates Lazer and Filiopoulos. The three of them, along with fellow seniors Pant and Rebstock, were honored before today's match for Senior Day.
- All six of the Shorewomen's conference wins this season have been by 9-0 scores.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/24 v. #20 Johns Hopkins - 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)