Shorewomen One Win Away from Conference Tournament Berth
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. — The Washington College women's tennis team moved one step closer to clinching a spot in the five-team Centennial Conference Tournament today with a 9-0 conference win at Ursinus. The Shorewomen, ranked 19th in the Atlantic South region, improved to 10-4 overall and 5-2 in conference matches with the win, while the Bears fell to 8-8 and 2-6 with the loss.
Washington College 9, Ursinus 0
- Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez were 8-3 winners over Aileen BeVard and Ashley Nguyen at No. 1.
- Washington won at No. 2 and No. 3 by identical 8-1 counts. Krista Filiopoulos and Sarah Bruno beat Ariel Danziger and Madisen Harvey at No. 2, while Riley Katzman and Ella Samer bested Summer Burkholder and Maddie Sorebo at No. 3.
- Lazer, ranked 18th in the region in singles, was a 6-1, 6-0, winner over BeVard at No. 1, while Martinez defeated Nguyen, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2.
- Filiopoulos downed Danziger, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 3, Samer beat Harvey, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4, Bruno beat Burkholder, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 5, and Washington won at No. 6 by default.
- Martinez's two wins brought her career collegiate combined win total to 99.
- The Shorewomen have now won 10 or more matches each of the past four seasons.
- All five of the Shorewomen's conference wins this season have been 9-0 shutouts.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/21 v. Gettysburg - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- The match against Gettysburg will be the Shorewomen's Senior Day match. A win over the Bullets would clinch a spot in the Centennial Conference Tournament for the Shorewomen.