Shorewomen Sweep Doubles, Win All Singles Matches in Straight Sets
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The host Washington College women's tennis team rolled to a 9-0 Centennial Conference win over visiting Bryn Mawr this afternoon. The win was the seventh straight for the Shorewomen, who improved to 7-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play.
Washington College 9, Bryn Mawr 0
- Krista Filiopoulos and Sarah Bruno picked up the Shorewomen's first point with a quick 8-0 win over Mariam Hader and Caroline Horvatits at No. 2.
- Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez put the finishing touches on an 8-1 win at No. 1 against Hannah Sherman and Lizzie Siegle quickly thereafter.
- Riley Katzman and Ella Samer completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win over Jennifer Laske and Christina Xue at No. 3.
- Filiopoulos defeated Haider, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3 to increase the lead to 4-0 and Lazer clinched the victory with her 6-0, 6-0, shutout of Siegle at No. 1.
- Samer made the score 6-0 with a 6-1, 6-0, victory against Horvatits at No. 4. Martinez upped that margin to 7-0 with a 6-4, 6-3, victory against Sherman at No. 2.
- Kiran Pant defeated Xue, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6 and Bruno beat Laske, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 5 to complete the match.
- Bryn Mawr fell to 4-6 and 0-1 in conference play with the loss.
- The match began outside at Schottland Tennis Center. First and second doubles were completed outdoors. The match moved inside the Johnson Fitness Center with Katzman and Samer leading in third doubles, 5-3.
- Filiopoulos, Lazer, and Martinez all continued their respective marches toward 100 career combined singles and doubles wins. Filiopoulos now has 97, Lazer 95, and Martinez 91.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/30 @ Salisbury - 12:00 p.m.