Shorewomen Take Two of Three in Doubles, Pick Up Super-Breaker Win at No. 4 Singles
HILTON HEAD, S.C. — The Washington College women's tennis team defeated Macalester College, 5-4, in a non-conference match in Hilton Head, S.C., this evening.
Washington College 5, Macalester 4
- Krista Filiopoulos and Sarah Bruno were 8-2 winners for the Shorewomen at No. 1 against Laurel Hickey and Natali Sorajja.
- Julie Lazer and Kiran Pant added an 8-2 win over Claire Buehler and Della Brown at No. 2.
- The Scots picked up a point at No. 3 where Lily Stein and Maegan O'Herin downed Riley Katzman and Ella Samer, 8-3.
- Lazer was a 6-1, 7-5, winner over Hickey at No. 1 and Filiopoulos cruised past Buehler, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2 as the Shorewomen won at the top two spots in straight sets.
- The Scots, meanwhile, posted decisive wins at the bottom two spots with Sorajja beating Pant, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 5 and O'Herin besting Katzman, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 6.
- The middle two singles matches both went to a deciding super-tiebreaker after the opponents split their first two sets. Stein rallied for a 5-7, 6-4, 10-8, win over Samer at No. 3, but Bruno came back to beat Brown, 4-6, 6-2, 10-8, at No. 4 for the Shorewomen.
- The Shorewomen improved to 3-1 with the win, while the Scots fell to 1-6.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/16 v. Concordia (Wis.) (at Hilton Head, S.C.) - 11:45 a.m.