Lazer Wins at No. 1 Singles and Doubles for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Division I Delaware State University rallied from a 2-1 deficit after doubles play to earn a 6-3 win and spoil the dual-match opener for the host Washington College women's tennis team this afternoon inside the Johnson Fitness Center. The Hornets improved to 3-0 with the win.
Delaware State 6, Washington College 3
- Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez rolled to an 8-0 win over Cassandra Bolton and Sofia Rachi at No. 1 to put Washington on the board first.
- Anastasia Belkrina and Elvira Galieva were 8-4 winners for Delaware State against Ella Samer and Riley Katzman at No. 3.
- The Shorewomen regained the lead when Sarah Bruno and Krista Filiopoulos finished an 8-5 victory over Alina Polyvana and Aayushi Chouhan at No. 2
- Lazer opened singles with a 6-3, 6-2, win over Rachi at No. 1 to increase the lead to 3-1.
- Polyvana cut the advantage to 3-2 with a 6-2, 6-2, victory over Samer at No. 4.
- The Hornets tied the score thanks to a 0-6, 6-3, 6-1, win by Boltan over Martinez at No. 2.
- Delaware State took its first lead of the match when Belkrina beat Filiopoulos, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 3.
- Galieva clinched the win for the Hornets with her 6-0, 6-1, victory over Bruno at No. 5. Chouhan defeated Kiran Pant, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 6 to round out the scoring.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/3 v. Goucher - 11:00 a.m.