Thomas Records First Collegiate Singles Win
BRYN MAWR, Pa. — The Washington College women's tennis team, ranked eighth in the Atlantic South region, improved to 6-2 overall and 2-0 in Centennial Conference play this season with an 8-1 win over host Bryn Mawr this afternoon. Bryn Mawr dropped to 1-2 and 0-1 with the loss.
Washington College 8, Bryn Mawr 1
- Rachel Martinez and Julie Lazer rolled to an 8-1 win at No. 1 against Eram Haider and Sydney Kim to start a doubles sweep for the Shorewomen. Kiran Pant and Mariah Thomas added an 8-3 win at No. 3 against Julia Holeman and Mariam Haider.
- MP Hubert and Krista Filiopoulos had the most hard-fought win in doubles, edging Caroline Horvatits and Lizzie Siegle, 9-8(5), at No. 2.
- Washington rolled to straight-set wins at the top four spots, but the big news was at No. 6 where Thomas picked up her first collegiate singles win, 3-6, 6-3, 10-8, against Abbygail Brewster.
- Lazer was a 6-0, 6-3, winner against Siegle at No. 1, while Martinez downed Eram Haider, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2. Filiopoulos and Hubert won by identical 6-1, 6-0, scores against Kim and Horvatits at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively.
- Bryn Mawr picked up its point at No. 5. Mariam Haider won the opening set, 7-6, against Pant and trailed, 1-0, in the second before Pant retired.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/1 v. McDaniel - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)