Centennial Conference Semifinal Up Next for Shorewomen
WESTMINSTER, Md.— The Washington College women's tennis team, ranked 39th in Division III and eighth in the Atlantic South region, completed its regular season with an 8-1 Centennial Conference win over host McDaniel College this afternoon in Westminster, Md. The Shorewomen improved to 13-3 overall and finish conference play with a 9-1 record for the second straight year. McDaniel fell to 2-14 and 0-10 with the loss to end its season.
Washington College 8, McDaniel 1
- McDaniel dressed just five players and thus defaulted at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles.
- At No. 1 doubles, April Weaver and Marielle McIntyre, ranked 12th in the Atlantic South region, defeated Lessa Malczewski and Laura Penhallegon, 8-1.
- McDaniel's lone point came at No. 2 doubles as Angela Johnson and Lindsay Russell were 8-6 winners against Rachel Martinez and Allie Boissonneault.
- Cat Scolamiero was an 8-5 winner against Russell at No. 5.
- The rest of the singles matches were 6-0, 6-0, victories for the Shorewomen. Weaver, ranked 14th in the region in singles, beat Malczewski at No. 1, Martinez blanked Johnson at No. 2, Krista Filiopoulos shut out Penhallegon at No. 3, and MP Hubert bested Jesside Measimer at No. 4.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
5/7 v. Swarthmore (at Johns Hopkins) - Centennial Conference Semifinal
- The Shorewomen are the second seed in the tournament, while Swarthmore is the third seed. The Shorewomen won the regular-season match between the two teams, 6-3.