Shorewomen Blank Fords, 9-0, to Clinch Tournament Spot
CHESTERTOWN, Md.— 40th-ranked host Washington College clinched a spot in the upcoming Centennial Conference Tournament with a 9-0 win over visiting Haverford College in women's tennis action this afternoon at Schottland Tennis Center. The Shorewomen, who are also ranked eighth in the Atlantic South region, improved to 11-3 overall and 7-1 in conference play with the win. The Fords fell to 6-8 and 3-5 with the loss.
#40 Washington College 9, Haverford 0
- MP Hubert and Krista Filiopoulos cruised to an 8-0 win at No. 3 against Stephany Prodromos and Caroline Steliotes.
- Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez followed with an 8-3 victory over Greta Koch and Courtney Ahmed at No. 2 and April Weaver and Marielle McIntyre completed the Shorewomen's doubles sweep with an 8-3 win against Robyn Himelstein and Abby Payson at No. 1.
- Blair Kang's 6-1, 6-2, win against Steliotes at No. 5 was the first singles match to finish. Lazer followed with her 6-0, 6-2, victory over Koch at No. 2.
- Hubert quickly added a 6-0, 6-1, win against Prodromos at No. 6, Filiopoulos notched a 6-1, 6-0, win against Ahmed at No. 4, and Martinez tallied a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Payson at No. 3.
- Weaver, ranked 13th in the Atlantic South in singles, finished off the match with a 6-3, 6-3, win against Himelstein at No. 1.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/23 v. Gettysburg - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- A win against the Bullets would clinch a first-round bye in the five-team Centennial Conference Tournament for the Shorewomen.