Shorewomen Improve to 6-0 in Centennial Conference Matches
ALLENTOWN, Pa.— The Washington College women's tennis team, ranked 40th in Division III and eighth in the Atlantic South region, topped host Muhlenberg, 8-1, in a Centennial Conference match this evening in Allentown, Pa. The Shorewomen, now 10-2 overall, remained undefeated in conference play, improving to 6-0, with the win. The Mules fell to 1-7 and 0-5 with the loss.
#40 Washington College 8, Muhlenberg 1
- The Shorewomen outscored the Mules by a combined 24-3 en route to an easy sweep of doubles. April Weaver and Marielle McIntyre beat Jamie Rosenblum and Hannah Molk, 8-1, at No. 1.
- No. 2 saw Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez down Meghan Olsen and Jenny Levenson, 8-2, while Krista Filiopoulos and MP Hubert blanked Brittany Gould and Carina Nicolaisen, 8-0, at No. 3.
- Lazer and Hubert each won their singles matches for the Shorewomen without giving up a game. Lazer beat Molk at No. 2, while Hubert shut out Levenson at No. 5.
- Martinez and Kiran Pant had little trouble in singles as well. Martinez beat Gould, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 3, while Pant topped Jourdyn Buckheit, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 6.
- Filiopoulos dropped her first set against Olsen at No. 4, but rallied for a 3-6, 6-1, 10-4, win.
- The Mules' lone point in the match came at No. 1 singles where Sara Finger defeated Weaver, the 13th-ranked singles player in the region, 6-2, 6-2.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/17 @ #11 Johns Hopkins - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Hopkins is currently 5-0 in conference matches and has won each of the last nine Centennial Conference Championships. The Blue Jays defeated the Shorewomen, 5-0, in last year's conference championship match.