Filiopoulos Clinches Win with Victory at No. 4 Singles
CHESTERTOWN, Md.— Host Washington College, ranked 40th in Division II and eighth in the Atlantic South region, improved to 6-2 overall and 2-0 in Centennial Conference matches with an 8-1 win over visiting Franklin & Marshall today inside the Johnson Fitness Center. The Diplomats dropped to 2-7 and 1-1 with the loss.
#40 Washington College 8, Franklin & Marshall 1
- The Shorewomen took a 1-0 lead courtesy of an 8-2 win by Rachel Martinez and Julie Lazer at No. 2 over Sarah Haas and Tara Bucnhey.
- F&M tied the score with an 8-6 victory by Allysan Breece and Gavriel Rubenstein over Krista Filiopoulos and MP Hubert at No. 3.
- Washington went ahead, 2-1, when April Weaver and Marielle McIntyre put the wraps on a 9-7 victory against Emily Gruenberg and Nicole Russo at No. 1.
- Weaver, ranked 10th in the region in singles, pushed the lead to 3-1 with her 6-2, 6-4, win against Russo, ranked 18th in the region in singles, at No. 1.
- Martinez got Washington to within one point of the win with her 6-0, 6-1, victory over Haas at No. 3.
- Filiopoulos clinched the victory for the Shorewomen when she completed a 4-6, 6-1, 10-2, win against Gruenberg at No. 4.
- Lazer, ranked 25th in the region in singles, also rallied for her win against Buchney at No. 2, posting a 5-7, 6-1, 10-3, victory at the spot.
- Blair Kang won in straight sets at No. 5, 6-2, 6-3, against Rubenstein.
- Hubert accounted for Washington's final point with her 7-6(7), 7-5, win against Alexandra Collins at No. 6.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/5 @ Swarthmore - 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)