Shorewomen Defeat a Nationally-Ranked Opponent for Second Day in a Row
IRVINE, Calif.— Senior April Weaver (Perrysburg, Ohio/Sturgis [Mich.]) reached 100 career combined singles and doubles wins as the Washington College women's tennis team defeated a nationally-ranked team for the second time in as many days, besting 32nd-ranked Vassar, 6-3, today in a match played at University High School in Irvine, Calif. In addition to its national ranking, Vassar (5-4) came into the match ranked eighth in the Northeast region. The Shorewomen (3-1) are ranked 10th in the Atlantic South.
Washington College 6, #32 Vassar 3
- The Shorewomen won three of the first four singles matches to finish to take a 3-1 lead.
- Blair Kang picked up Washington's first point with a 7-5, 6-2, win against Morgane Flournoy at No. 5.
- The Brewers got on the board with Dasha Ivenitsky's 6-3, 6-1, win against MP Hubert at No. 6.
- Weaver, ranked 20th in the Atlantic South in singles, then defeated Kate Christensen, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 1 for her 99th career win.
- Krista Filiopoulos made it 3-1 in favor of the Shorewomen with a 6-2, 6-3, victory against Morgan Fitzgerald at No. 4.
- Vassar cut the lead to 3-2 when Kelsey Van Noy downed Rachel Martinez, 7-6(5), 6-3, at No. 3.
- Julie Lazer pushed the advantage to 4-2 when she took the No. 2 spot with a 2-6, 6-1, 7-6(3), win over Courtney Geiss.
- The Shorewomen clinched the win when Weaver and Marielle McIntyre completed an 8-1 win against Shayna Becker and Hanna McGuire at No. 1. That was Weaver's 100th career win.
- The Brewers got their third point courtesy of a win at No. 3 as Connie Yoo and Flournoy downed Filiopoulos and Hubert, 8-5.
- Lazer and Martinez finished the match off with an 8-6 win against Van Noy and Lauren Stauffer at No. 2.
- Weaver is now 49-18 in singles and 51-15 in doubles in her collegiate career for a combined mark of 100-33.
- Washington defeated 38th-ranked La Verne yesterday, 8-1.
- The match started about four hours later than originally scheduled due to morning rain.
- Singles were contested first, followed by doubles - the opposite of the usual dual-match format.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/26 v. Dickinson - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- The match against Dickinson will be the Shorewomen's home and Centennial Conference opener.