Clune Wins Three Events For WC
WESTMINSTER, Md. – The Washington College women's swimming team turned a 60-55 deficit into a 62-60 win over host McDaniel by winning the final event, the 200-yard freestyle, in the regular season finale on Saturday afternoon at Harlow Pool in a Centennial Conference women's swimming meet.
Washington College 62 McDaniel 60
- The 200-yard freestyle relay team of Emma Silber, Tricia Markey, Katie Gorman and Anna Schmittle won the event with a time of 1:43.78 and captured all seven points that were at stake. They beat McDaniel's top relay team by 2.31 seconds to emerge victorious in the meet.
- Jenni Clune won three events for Washington on the day. She swam a WC season-best time of 2:16.37 in the 200 individual medley and captured both the 100 and 200 breaststroke events in 1:09.42 and 2:34.30 respectively.
- Julia Portmann took first place in the 500 freestyle (5:29.73) and 1000 freestyle (11:30.44).
- Gorman won the 50 freestyle in 25.11 and Lindsay Wiecki won the 200 butterfly in 2:22.35.
- Washington won eight of the 14 events.
- The Shorewomen conclude their dual meet schedule at 7-5 overall and 4-3 in the Centennial, while the Green Terror finish theirs at 5-6 and 1-6 respectively.
- The Shorewomen's dual-meet record this season was their best since going 9-2 during the 2009-10 season. The Shorewomen were 7-4 against fellow Division III schools this season as they lost their season opener to Division I Delaware.
2/22-25 @ Centennial Conference Championships (Hosted by Franklin & Marshall)