O'Connell Scores in Win for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Freshman Paige O'Connell (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Ludlowe) scored the only goal of the game as the host Washington College women's soccer team topped visiting Ursinus, 1-0, in a Centennial Conference women's soccer game this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 1, Ursinus 0
How It Happened
- Lauren Maynor put an early shot on goal for the Shorewomen in the fourth minute.
- The Bears' first shot on goal came in the 31st off the foot of Taylor Beaumont.
- The Shorewomen had the first shot on goal of the second half as Keelie Verbeek put one on goal in the 47th minute.
- O'Connell put the Shorewomen on the board at the 64:27 mark, scoring into the opposite corner after receiving a tap from Sara Douglas following a corner kick. The goal was the first of O'Connell's collegiate career.
For the Shorewomen (6-7-3, 2-5-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: O'Connell (goal), Douglas (assist)
- Goalkeepers: Annalie Buscarino (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 45:00); Noah Smith (1 saves, 0 goals allowed, 45:00)
- The Shorewomen held an 11-5 advantage in shots in the game and recorded four of the game's six corner kicks.
For Ursinus (4-10-2, 0-9 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeepers: Sarah Embley (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 45:00); Sabrina Doherty (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 45:00)
- O'Connell was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
11/3 @ Muhlennberg - 4 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)