Team Opens Season With Three Consecutive Shutout Wins For First Time In Program History
CAMDEN, N.J. — Sophomore forward Erin O'Reilly (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin Regional) scored a pair of goals as visiting Washington College moved to 3-0 on the season with a 2-0 win over host Rutgers-Camden in a non-conference women's soccer match played today at Rutgers-Camden Community Park in Camden, New Jersey. With the win, the Shorewomen have started a season with three consecutive shutout wins for the first time in program history.
Washington College 2, Rutgers-Camden 0
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen took the lead just 2:09 into the contest when O'Reilly took a through ball from Gillian Slavick and scored on an ensuing breakaway.
- Meghan Wachira almost tied the game for the Scarlet Raptors in the 20th minute, but her shot rattled off the crossbar.
- Washington doubled the lead to 2-0 with 14:39 to go until halftime when Cayla Marcinko sent a pass from the left side into the box for O'Reilly, who scored her second goal of the day.
- Rutgers-Camden took their first shot on goal with eight seconds to go in the half when a shot from Taylor O'Rourke was saved by Shorewomen goalkeeper Annalie Buscarino.
- Slavick took the first shot on goal of the second half in the 51st minute, but it was saved by Rutgers-Camden goalkeeper Natalie Eberhardt.
- Ava Pizarro fired a shot on goal for the Scarlet Raptors in the 57th minute, but it was stopped by Shorewomen backup goalkeeper Noah Smith.
- Mya Bocchicchio had the final shot on goal for Rutgers-Camden with 17:11 to go, but it was stopped by Smith.
- Kelsey Hall took the final shot on goal of the contest with 4:51 to go, but it was saved by Eberhardt.
For the Shorewomen (2-0)
- Scorers: O'Reilly (two goals), Slavick (one assist), Marcinko (one assist).
- Goalkeeper: Buscarino (one save, zero goals allowed, 45:00), Smith (two saves, zero goals allowed, 45:00).
- The Shorewomen held a 15-6 advantage in shots and took all four of the corner kicks in the game.
For Rutgers-Camden (0-1)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Eberhardt (five saves, two goals allowed, 90:00)
- O'Reilly has scored a goal in all three games for the Shorewomen so far this year.
- This is the second time in program history that the Shorewomen have started a season 3-0, with the first occurrence coming last year.
- Washington defeated Rutgers-Camden by the same 2-0 score a season ago.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/11 v. Hood - 7:00 p.m.
- The Shorewomen posted a 2-1 win over the Blazers a season ago and lead the series 5-1-1 on the strength of three consecutive wins in the series.