Klink Scores First Two Career Goals In Victory
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College scored three goals in each half and cruised to a 6-0 win over visiting Rosemont in a non-conference women's soccer match played tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 6, Rosemont 0
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen got on the board with 23:17 to go in the opening half when Rachel Chatfield stole a clearing attempt and blasted a shot from 20 yards out under the crossbar and in.
- The lead grew to 2-0 with 17:15 to go in the half when Gillian Slavick took advantage of a misplay by the Rosemont goalkeeper to score into an empty net from right in front of the goal.
- Washington extended the lead to 3-0 with 14:20 to play in the opening half as Brianna Parise beat a defender on the run to take control of a loose ball on the right side of the 18 yard box and curved a shot into the far side of the goal with Slavick getting the assist.
- The Ravens tallied their one and only shot of the night with 33:03 to go, a shot from distance by Teagan Dawson, which was comfortably saved by Shorewomen goalkeeper Noah Smith.
- Megan Klink pushed the lead to 4-0 with 16:23 to go, taking a cross from Paige O'Connell from the left side and placing a shot into the lower left corner of the goal.
- Washington grew the lead to 5-0 with 13:19 to play when Katie Brennan sent a pass ahead to Slavick on the edge of the 18 yard box, who quickly touched the ball ahead to Erin O'Reilly, who then slotted a shot into the lower left corner.
- Klink capped the scoring with 6:18 to go, taking a cross from O'Reilly and curling home a shot off the left post and in.
For the Shorewomen (2-0)
- Scorers: Klink (two goals), O'Reilly (one goal, one assist), Slavick (one goal, two assists), Parise (one goal), Chatfield (one goal), Brennan (one assist), O'Connell (one assist).
- Goalkeeper: Smith (one save, zero goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Shorewomen owned a commanding 34-1 advantage in shots, taking 17 shots in each half, and took all 14 of the corner kicks in the game.
For Rosemont (0-1)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Emma Lindsay (16 saves, six goals allowed, 90:00).
- Klink was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game for the first time in her career. Her two goals tonight were the first two goals and first points of her career.
- The Shorewomen move to 4-0 in program history against Rosemont, outscoring the Ravens 27-0 in the process.
- Washington has opened the season with back-to-back shutout wins for the second time in program history, a feat they also accomplished last season.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/4 @ Rutgers-Camden - 7:00 p.m.
- The Shorewomen posted a 2-0 win over the Scarlet Raptors last year.