Senior Scores Game's Lone Goal in 87th Minute
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. — Senior defender Steph Scott (Tustin, Calif./Beckham) scored the game's only goal on a penalty kick in the 87th minute as the visiting Washington College women's soccer team stunned host University of Mary Washington, 1-0, on the opening day of the UMW Classic.
Washington College 1, Mary Washington 0
How It Happened
- Washington's Olivia Sabatino recorded the first shot of the game in the 11th minute, but it was saved by Mary Washington goalkeeper Haley Randall.
- Mary Washington had the only other two shots of the first half, but neither went on goal.
- The Eagles' first shot on goal was delivered by Jordan Rock in the 63rd minute, but was saved by Washington goalkeeper Courtney Colbert.
- Rock had another shot on goal in the 79th, but this was one was saved by Annalie Buscarino, who had come on to replace Colbert.
- Buscarino made three more saves in a span of 5:26, the third coming at the 86:27 mark on a shot by Anna Longacher.
- The Eagles were called for a foul in the box 26 seconds later, setting up Scott's winning penalty-kick goal at 86:53.
- A shot by Mary Washington's Corinne Carson in the 88th minute went wide and another by the Eagles' Brielle Mitchell went high in the 89th as the Shorewomen hung on for the shutout.
For the Shorewomen (2-1)
- Scorers: Scott (goal)
- Goalkeepers: Colbert (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 67:22); Buscarino (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 22:38)
- The Shorewomen's only two shots of the game both went on goal. Washington also had two corner kicks.
For Mary Washington (3-1)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Randall (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Eagles had 13 shots, five of them going on goal, and three corner kicks.
- Mary Washington entered the game with a 3-0 record, having already scored 12 goals this season. The Eagles came into the game averaging 15.3 shots on goal per game; the Shorewomen held them just five.
- The Eagles went 11-6-2 last season and 6-2-1 in the Capital Athletic Conference. The Shorewomen were 5-10-1 overall and 0-9 in the Centennial Conference a year ago.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/10 v. Marymount (at UMW Classic) - 12:30 p.m.