Docktor, Grovom Score Four Goals Each in Loss
GLASSBORO, N.J. — Host Rowan University defeated visiting Washington College, 17-14, this evening in a non-conference women's lacrosse game between two teams ranked in separate national polls. Rowan is ranked 23rd in the IWLCA Division III Top 25, while Washington College is currently ranked 20th in the US Lacrosse Magazine/Nike Division III Top 20.
Rowan 17, Washington College 14
How It Happened
- Maddie Bray controlled the opening draw for the Profs and scored just 15 seconds into the game. The Shorewomen scored the next two goals to take a 2-1 lead on an Aubrey Robinson score off an Alison Pantazes assist with 23:58 on the clock.
- Rowan responded with six goals in a 3:01 span, surging ahead, 7-2, on a Nicole Mickendrow goal with 20:23 remaining in the first half. Lauren Brenner broke the Rowan run with a goal for the Shorewomen with 17:39 left before halftime. Kristy Grovom then scored off a Cecily Docktor assist 49 seconds later to trim the deficit to three, but Mickendrow scored the Profs' eighth goal off a Taylor Gretz assist just 32 seconds after that.
- Washington would get back to within three goals three more times later in the first half, but a free-position tally by Alex DeGaris sent the Profs into halftime with a 12-8 advantage.
- The Profs opened the second half with two quick back-to-back goals, building a 14-8 cushion on a free-position tally by Liz Kramer with 28:52 to play.
- Rowan led by at least five goals until back-to-back tallies by Madison Acra (off a Docktor assist) and Docktor (off a Brenner assist) got Washington back to within four at 16-12 with 16:43 remaining. Kim Doyle then scored for Rowan off a Mikala Gillespie assist with 13:58 left for a 17-12 advantage.
- Neither team scored again until Emily Pantazes scored for the Shorewomen off a assist from twin sister Alison with 5:10 to go. Washington then closed the gap to three goals at 17-14 on a Docktor goal with 3:38 to go, but that was as close as the Shorewomen would get as the Profs held on for the win.
For the Shorewomen (6-2)
- Scoring Leaders: Docktor (4 goals, 2 assists); Grovom (4 goals, assist); Acra (3 goals); Brenner (goal, assist); Robinson (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Isabella Richardson (5 saves, 15 goals allowed, 33:56); Victoria Shanerman (4 saves, 2 goals allowed, 26:04)
- Anna Bennett had six draw controls for Washington.
For Rowan (5-1)
- Scoring Leaders: Bray (4 goals); Doyle (4 goals); Kramer (3 goals); Gretz (2 goals, assist); DeGaris (2 goals, assist)
- In Goal: Erin Horner (13 saves, 14 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Kramer also had seven draw controls for the Profs, who held a 34-31 advantage in shots in the game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/31 @ McDaniel - 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)