Brenner Scores Game-Winner on Free-Position Shot
ASHLAND, Va. — Sophomore attacker Lauren Brenner (Glen Mills, Pa./Episcopal Academy) scored the game-winning goal on a free-position shot with 3:15 left in overtime to lift visiting Washington College to a 14-13 overtime win over host Randolph-Macon in a non-conference women's lacrosse game this afternoon in Ashland, Va.
Washington College 14, Randolph-Macon 13 (OT)
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets scored twice in the first 76 seconds of the game as a goal by Alex Lightfoot off an assist from Saunders Riley gave them a 2-0 lead with 28:44 to play in the first half. The Shorewomen quickly got one of those goals back as Cecily Docktor found the back of the net 67 seconds later.
- Riley scored for Randolph-Macon with 24:23 to go to push the lead back to two at 3-1, but the Shorewomen scored the next three goals to take a 4-3 lead on an Alison Pantazes goal with 20:11 left in the half.
- The Yellow Jackets scored the next three goals to build a 6-4 lead after a free-position goal by Kaylyn Hewes with 11:48 on the clock, but the Shorewomen again ran off three straight goals to take a 7-6 lead on a Docktor goal 14 seconds before halftime.
- Randolph-Macon leveled the score at 7-7 with an extra-man goal by Bella Samper with 28:09 to go in the second half. Kristy Grovom then put the Shorewomen back in front, 8-7, with a goal with 26:06 left. Alicia Hsieh tied things up at 8-8 with a Yellow Jacket goal with 23:16 to go.
- A free-position goal by Hewes 75 seconds later gave Randolph-Macon its first lead of the second half at 9-8. Hewes scored again with 19:57 on the clock to extend the margin to 10-8.
- Emily Pantazes then got Washington back to within a goal with a free-position tally 75 seconds later. Lauren Brenner tied the game at 10-10 with a free-position goal for the Shorewomen at 15:35, but a Hsieh free-position goal on the other end put Randolph-Macon back in front, 11-10, 19 seconds later.
- Docktor found the back of the net on a free-position shot with 10:25 to play for yet another tie at 11-11. Docktor then gave the Shorewomen a 12-11 lead with a goal off an assist from Aubrey Robinson with 8:01 left. Madison Acra increased the Shorewomen's lead to two with a free-position goal at 6:23.
- Riley pulled the Yellow Jackets to within a goal again at 13-12 when she scored 17 seconds later. A free-position goal by Hannah Jones with 3:31 left evened the score at 13-13.
- The Yellow Jackets had a chance to take the lead with under a minute to go, but a shot by Jones went off the post. Washington then had its chance for a regulation win but a shot by Docktor at the buzzer was saved by Randolph-Macon goalie Elicia Wells.
- Hsieh won the opening draw of overtime for the Yellow Jackets, but turned it over and Washington was able to clear the ball and eventually draw the foul that led to Brenner's free-position and game-winner.
For the Shorewomen (5-1)
- Scoring Leaders: Docktor (5 goals); Brenner (4 goals); Grovom (2 goals); A. Pantazes (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Isabella Richardson (4 saves, 13 goals allowed, 62:45)
- Robinson had six draw controls for the Shorewomen, while Anna Bennett tallied four caused turnovers.
- The Shorewomen held a 43-26 advantage in shots in the game.
For Randolph-Macon (2-4)
- Scoring: Hsieh (4 goals); Hewes (3 goals); Riley (2 goals, assist); Jones (2 goals)
- In Goal: Wells (19 saves, 14 goals allowed, 62:45)
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/24 v. Dickinson - 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The game against Dickinson will be the Shorewomen's Centennial Conference opener.