Vincent Moves To Second Place All-Time In Centennial History In Free Position Goals
CARLISLE, Pa. – Host Dickinson blew a five-goal lead in the final 10:38 of the second half, but got the game-winning goal 1:02 into overtime off the stick of Anne Dunster to edge visiting Washington College in overtime, 11-10, in a Centennial Conference women's lacrosse game on Saturday afternoon at Biddle Field in the conference opener for both squads.
Dickinson 11 Washington College 10 (OT)
How It Happened
- Trailing 10-5 with 15:58 to go, the Shorewomen scored five unanswered goals to force overtime. Cecily Docktor began the comeback with 10:38 to go to cut the lead to 10-6 and then Katherine Vincent netted a free position goal with 7:25 left to trim the lead to 10-7. On that free position tally, she Franklin & Marshall's Jen Pritchard (2006-09) for second all-time in free position goals in Centennial history with 51.
- Down 10-7 with two minutes to go, Lauren Brenner scored on a pass from Autumn Spence to reduce the lead to 10-8 with 1:45 left. Docktor cut the lead to 10-9 as she finished off a pass from Caitlin Donovan with 11 ticks left. Donovan started the play with a caused turnover.
- Vincent would win the draw control and went straight to goal was drew the foul for a free position chance. Vincent scored with six seconds left to force overtime as she moved into second place all-time in Centennial history in free position goals with 52.
- In overtime, Maddy Siebold won the draw control for Dickinson and the Red Devils eventually were awarded a free position chance. Siebold's shot was saved by WC goalie Maddie Mullen, but the loose ball off of the rebound went right to Dunster on the right side of the goal crease and she put the ball into the open net for the walk-off goal.
- In the first half, Washington jumped out to a 3-1 lead with 16:33 to go on a free position goal from Katherine Vincent. It was the 50th career free position goal for Vincent as she became just the third Centennial Conference player to notch 50 or more free position goals. Her goal came 59 seconds after Docktor finished off a feed from Emily Pantazes that gave the Shorewomen a 2-1 lead.
- Dickinson would respond with three of the next four goals to tie the game at 4-4 as they drew even on a free position goal by Sophie Waine with 9:11 remaining in the first and that would be the halftime score. Three of Dickinson's four first half goals were via the free position.
- In the second half, the Red Devils scored twice in the first 70 seconds to take a 6-4 lead. Siebold scored on a free position try 23 seconds in and Eleanor Kaestner scored on a pass from Dunster to give the hosts a two-goal lead. The Kaestner capped a four-goal run for Dickinson.
- The Shorewomen got one back when Donovan scored with Vincent recording the helper to trim the Dickinson lead to 6-5 with 21:14 remaining.
- Dickinson scored just 37 seconds later on a Kaestner tally and Sam Marmo cashed in on a free position opportunity to give Dickinson an 8-5 cushion with 19:04 remaining.
- Kaestner scored the next two goals, both coming on feeds from Dunster, in a span of 1:58 gave the Red Devils a five-goal lead at 10-5 with 15:58 left as the goal capped a 9-2 run for Dickinson.
For The Shorewomen (5-3, 0-1 CC)
- Scoring: Docktor and Vincent (three goals and one assist for team-high four points), Donovan (one goal and one assist)
- In Goal: Haylee Solomon (42:04, eight saves, nine goals), Mullen (21:58, one save, two goals)
- Spence (Game-high five ground balls and tied for tops in caused turnovers with three), and Emily Pantazes (three draws, three ground balls and two caused turnovers), Anna Inserra (three draws, ground balls and caused turnovers)
- The Shorewomen held a 18-14 advantage in ground balls and outshot the Red Devils, 30-24.
- WC went 15-for-16 in clears and went 3-for-13 in free position shots.
For Dickinson (4-4, 1-0 CC)
- Scoring: Kaestner (game-best five goals), Dunster (four points, game-winning goal and game-high three assists), Marno (two goals)
- In Goal: Tara Cuddihy (64:02, 11 saves, 10 goals, three ground balls and three caused turnovers)
- Siebold (game-topping four draw controls), Molli Halmerl (three caused turnovers)
- The Red Devils went 16-for-23 in clears and had one fewer turnovers than WC, 17-16.
- Dickinson went 4-for-11 in free position chances, while holding a 12-11 advantage in draw controls.
- The game pitted Vincent, the reigning conference offensive player of the week and Cuddihy, the reigning conference defensive player of the week.
- The only player Vincent trails in all-time free position goals in conference history is Gettysburg's Hannah Church who netted 57 from 2009-12.
- Vincent is now seventh all-time in team history in career goals as she passed Jordan Holt '00 with her last goal. Vincent now has 132 all-time goals, while Holt deposited 131 goals in her four years in a WC uniform. She is now at 180 points, one point behind Suzie Jakub '09 for eighth place in program history. Jakub had 181 career points.
- Spence matched her career-bests in ground balls and caused turnovers in the game.
4/1 v. McDaniel – 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The Shorewomen won 17-5 last season and have won the prior seven meetings in the series.