Kozlowski Scores 12 to Lead WC
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Haverford got game-highs of 19 points Anna-Sophia Capizzi and 10 assists from Katie Cook on its way to a 58-46 victory over host Washington College on Saturday afternoon at the Cain Athletic Center in Centennial Conference women's basketball action. The Fords are now 7-2 overall and 4-2 in the Centennial, while the Shorewomen drop to 4-5 and 2-4 respectively.
Haverford 58 Washington College 46
How It Happened
- After the Shorewomen scored the first basket of the game, the Fords scored the game's next eight points to lead 8-2 with 7:03 left in the first quarter on a Capizzi three-pointer. Capizzi began the run with a three-pointer 64 seconds earlier on a three that gave Haverford the lead for good at 3-2.
- Washington cut the lead to 10-7 on a three by Caitlyn Clark with 5:07 left in the first before the Fords scored seven of the final eight points to take a 17-8 lead after one.
- In the second quarter, Haverford pushed its lead to 18 points for its largest lead of the game at 32-14 with 4:35 remaining on a Megan Furch layup. Washington scored the last six points to trim the Fords' lead to 32-20 at halftime as Alexis Krahling canned a jumper with 22 ticks left to cap the first half scoring.
- Haverford scored eight of the first 10 points in the third quarter to led 40-24 with 5:48 remaining on a Capizzi bunny. The Fords led 45-32 after three.
- In the fourth quarter, the Shorewomen got within 10 on two occasions, the last coming with 1:35 remaining on a Cassidy Quattro lay-in to trim the lead to 56-46, but could draw no closer as Haverford came away with the 12-point victory.
For The Shorewomen (4-5, 2-4 CC)
- Kristi Kozlowski (12 points and six rebounds to lead team and game-high three steals), Emily Thiemann (contest-best three blocks and two steals), Quattro and Bridget McLaughlin (three assists), Clark and Krahling (two steals)
- Washington shot 40% from the field (19-for-47), 38% from three-point range (3-for-8) and 36% from the foul line (5-for-14).
- Washington had 15 turnovers in the contest.
- The Shorewomen outscored the Fords in bench points (23-7) and second chance points (6-5).
For Haverford (7-2, 4-2 CC)
- Capizzi (19 points), Furch (16 points, game-best nine boards and two blocks), Cook (10 assists),
- Haverford shot 45% from the field (24-for-53), 43% from behind the arc (6-for-14) and 50% from foul line (4-for-8).
- The Fords tallied advantages in points in the paint (32-26), transition points (4-0) and points off of turnovers (12-6).
- Haverford had 12 turnovers in the win.
- Kozlowski was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game on the broadcast.
12/15 @ Immaculata – 1:00 p.m. (Non-conference game)
- The Shorewomen won 82-48 last season at home.
- Last Washington College athletic contest of the 2018 calendar year.