McLaughlin Scores Team-High 17 Points
READING, Pa. – Ohio Wesleyan got a game-high 28 points from Devin Hefner on its way to a 70-53 win over Washington College on Saturday afternoon in a non-conference women's basketball game in the opening round of the Nonno Alby's Tip-Off Tournament hosted by Alvernia. The Battling Bishops improve to 1-0 on the year, while the Shorewomen drop to 1-1.
Ohio Wesleyan 70 Washington College 53
How It Happened
- Leading 13-11 in the first quarter, Ohio Wesleyan closed out the first quarter on a 9-2 run in the last 4:26 of the first to take a 22-13 lead after one. Elea Karras scored the final basket of the run for the Battling Bishops on a layup with 48 seconds left.
- In the second quarter, the Shorewomen cut the Battling Bishops' lead to 32-28 with 3:19 left on a three-pointer by Alexis Krahling. However Ohio Wesleyan outscored Washington 9-3 in the rest of the quarter to take a 41-31 lead into halftime with Hefner sinking a jumper to beat the buzzer for Ohio Wesleyan.
- The Shorewomen would get it within eight points on two occasions in the third quarter, but would draw no closer as they were outscored by the Battling Bishops 15-12 and trailed 56-43 after three.
- Ohio Wesleyan held a 14-10 advantage in scoring in the fourth quarter and led by as many as 21 at 70-49 with 2:06 left following a three-pointer by Leah Maniaci.
For The Shorewomen (1-1)
- Bridget McLaughlin (team-highs of 17 points and four assists; 8-for-10 from the floor), Taylor Samuels (team-best five rebounds)
- WC shot 48% from the floor (22-for-46), 50% from three-point range (4-for-8) and 56% (5-for-9) from the foul line in the game.
- Washington had the advantage in bench points, 18-17, and blocked seven shots.
- The Shorewomen turned it over 23 times.
For Ohio Wesleyan (1-0)
- Hefner (game-best 28 points), Karras (five assists to lead all players; three steals and six rebounds to tie for game-best in both), Erin Delaney (six boards to tie for game-high), Lisa Zeller (three steals to tie for contest-best)
- The Battling Bishops shot 42% from the floor (25-for-59), 36% from three-point land (5-for-14) and 75% from the foul stripe (15-for-20).
- OWU outscored WC in points off of turnovers (22-5), points in the paint (28-16), second chance points (14-2) and transition points (9-2).
- Ohio Wesleyan did hold a 36-25 edge in rebounds and had 12 steals.
- The Battling Bishops coughed it up 16 times.
- It was the first meeting between Washington College and Ohio Wesleyan in women's basketball.
11/18 v. Penn State-Schuylkill @ Alvernia – 1:00 p.m. (Non-Conference Game)
- Consolation game of Nonno Alby's Tournament.