McLaughlin Pulls Down Career-High Nine Rebounds as WC Sweeps Swarthmore for the First Time in 19 Years
SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Visiting Washington College completed its first season sweep of host Swarthmore since the 1998-99 season with a 64-55 victory at Tarble Pavilion in a Centennial Conference women's basketball game on Thursday evening. The Shorewomen improve to 5-13 overall and 3-10 in the Centennial, while the Garnet fall to 3-14 and 1-11 respectively.
Washington College 64 Swarthmore 55
How It Happened
- After allowing the first four points of the game, the Garnet answered with an 11-2 run to take an 11-6 lead with 3:37 to go in the first quarter on a three-pointer by Abigail Pirron. Swarthmore would lead 12-10 after one.
- The Shorewomen took their first lead since 4-2 on a conventional three-point play by Cassidy Quattro with 7:15 to go in the second quarter. Tied at 23-23 with 4:18 remaining in the second following two Raina Williams free throws by Swarthmore, Washington outscored the hosts 11-4 to take a 34-27 lead into halftime starting with two free throws by Caitlyn Clark with 3:47 remaining that put the Shorewomen ahead for good. Kristi Kozlowski capped the scoring in the quarter with 46 ticks left on a layup for the visitors as WC outscored Swarthmore 24-15 in the second.
- In the third, Washington pushed its lead out to as many as 12 points at 49-37 with 3:36 left in the quarter on a jumper by Emily Thiemann on a pass from Quattro. The Shorewomen would take an 11-point lead into the fourth at 51-40. The closest Swarthmore got was five when Pirron hit a layup with 6:23 left to trim the WC lead to 41-36.
- The Garnet would trim the Shorewomen's lead to 56-49 with 5:11 remaining in the fourth quarter on an Isabelle Ewart basket. However that's as close as they would get as WC scored eight of the final 14 points to come away with the nine-point victory.
For the Shorewomen (5-13, 3-10 CC)
- Clark (13 points), Quattro (12 points and two steals), Thiemann (nine rebounds to tie for game-best), McLaughlin (career-best nine boards)
- Washington shot 40% from the floor (22-for-55), 14% from three-point range (1-for-7) and 68% from the foul line (19-for-28).
- Shorewomen outscored the Garnet in points in the paint, 26-12, transition points, 4-0, and bench points, 22-13.
- WC turned it over 11 times in the game.
For Swarthmore (3-14, 1-11 CC)
- Pirron (17 points –contest-best), Ewart (12 points), Williams (eight rebounds), Elenore Moser (two steals).
-The Garnet shot 30% from the field (18-for-61), 23% from three-point land (5-for-22) and 61% from the free throw stripe (14-for-23).
- Held a 9-6 advantage in points off of turnovers and 15-13 in second chance points.
- Outrebounded the visitors, 44-43.
- The hosts coughed it up 11 times in the contest.
- The Shorewomen last swept the season series from the Garnet 19 years ago as the Shorewomen won a pair of one-point games in 1998-99. Washington won at home in overtime, 65-64, on December 1, 1998 and nipped Swarthmore in Swarthmore, 56-55, on February 9, 1999. The two victories completed a streak of 12 straight victories over the Garnet.
- McLaughlin's prior high in rebounds was eight versus Bryn Mawr on February 7, 2017.
- Washington picked up its first road victory of the season this evening.
1/27 v. #16 Muhlenberg – 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)