Clark Leads Washington With Eight Points
HAVERFORD, Pa. – Haverford's Samantha Wetzel scored a game-high 20 points and hauled down a contest-best seven rebounds to help propel the host Fords to a 64-41 win over visiting Washington College on Wednesday night at Gooding Arena in Centennial Conference women's basketball action.
Haverford 64 Washington College 41
How It Happened
- Washington led 7-4 with 7:20 to go in the first quarter on a Jordan Weir three-pointer when Haverford scored 10 straight points to take a 14-7 lead with 4:41 remaining in the first on a Sierra Berkel layup. The Fords took the lead during the run on a traditional three-point play by Maddie Gallic with 6:25 left in the first to grab a 9-7 lead. The Fords held a 22-12 advantage over the Shorewomen after one quarter.
- Washington and Haverford played to a 12-12 second quarter as the Fords led 34-24 at halftime. The hosts led by as many as 13 points in the second on three occasions.
- The Fords, who outscored the Shorewomen 15-10 in the third, took their biggest lead of the game in the closing seconds of the quarter on two Anna-Sophia Capizzi free throws with 16 seconds left to lead 49-34 and that would be the score after three.
- Haverford held a 15-7 edge in the fourth quarter to provide the final margin. Capizzi gave the Fords their biggest lead of the game of 25 points at 64-39 on a layup with 3:45 to go.
For The Shorewomen (8-12, 5-10 CC)
- Caitlyn Clark (team-high eight points), Ali Grundy (squad-best six boards).
- Washington shot 33% from the field (17-for-51), 13% from three-point range (1-for-8) and 55% from the foul line (6-for-11).
- Washington had just nine turnovers in the contest.
- The Shorewomen outscored the Fords points off of turnovers by a 10-5 margin.
For Haverford (15-5, 12-3 CC)
- Wetzel (game-highs of 20 points and seven rebounds), Brakel (11 points), Capizzi (10 points), Katie Cook (contest-topping six assists).
- The Fords held a 39-26 advantage in rebounds in the game, totaled a 13-0 advantage in points off of turnovers, 34-20 edge in points in the paint and outscored the Shorewomen 12-0 in second-chance points.
- Haverford shot 48% from the field (27-for-56), 27% from behind the arc (4-for-15) and 100% from foul line (6-for-6).
- The Fords had 11 turnovers in the win.
- Grundy had her 24-game streak of making at least one three-pointer come to an end.
2/4 @ Ursinus – 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- Shorewomen won the January 10 meeting in Chestertown by a 63-59 score.