Grundy Drains Her 100th Career Three-Pointer In Game
WESTMINSTER, Md. – Host McDaniel was able to withstand a late Washington College rally to hold on for a 41-33 win in a defensive-minded game on Thursday evening at the Gill Center in Centennial Conference women's basketball action. In the loss, senior guard Ali Grundy (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga) became the eighth player in Shorewomen Basketball history to make 100 career three-pointers.
McDaniel 41 Washington College 33
How It Happened
- The Green Terror scored the final nine points of the first quarter to take an 11-2 lead over the Shorewomen after one quarter. McDaniel scored the final nine points of the first after Emily Thiemann scored Washington's lone bucket in the quarter on a layup with 8:04 to go.
- Washington scored the first four points in the second quarter to cut the McDaniel lead to 11-6 with 6:11 remaining in second on a Bridget McLaughlin jumper. The Green Terror took a 17-10 lead into halftime with Karli Zeps scoring on a second-chance layup with 16 ticks left for the hosts to round out the first half scoring.
- McDaniel led 19-12 with 7:50 left in the third quarter before going on a 9-0 run to take a 28-12 lead with 2:59 left in the third on a Liv Storer jumper. The 16-point lead was the hosts' biggest of the contest. The Green Terror led 30-17 after three after outscoring the Shorewomen 13-7 in the third 10 minutes.
- Trailing 34-19 with 6:24 to go in the fourth quarter, Washington went on a 14-3 run to cut the McDaniel lead to 37-33 with 2:34 to go on a Grundy triple. Earlier in the run, Grundy made her 100th career trey with 4:39 left to trim the hosts' lead to 36-27.
- The four-point deficit was as close as the Shorewomen would get as McDaniel made four free throws in the final 87 seconds to salt away the eight point win. Jasmine Smith made two from the line with 30 seconds left to round out the scoring.
For The Shorewomen (1-4, 0-2)
- Grundy (9 points), Cassidy Quattro (game-bests of 10 rebounds and three blocks).
- Washington shot 25% from the field (11-for-44), 39% from three-point range (5-for-13) and 86% from the foul line (6-for-7).
- Washington had 17 turnovers in the contest.
For McDaniel (2-4, 1-2)
- Smith (game-highs of 10 points and three assists), Zeps (team-high nine boards and contest-best two steals).
- The Green Terror held a 41-33 advantage in rebounds in the game, totaled a 17-0 advantage in points off of turnovers and outscored the Shorewomen 18-8 in second-chance points.
- McDaniel shot 29% from the field (15-for-52), 40% from behind the arc (2-for-5) and 56% from foul line (9-for-16).
- The Green Terror had 10 turnovers in the win.
- Grundy became the eighth Washington player to make 100 career three-pointers. She joins Jane O'Donnell '10 (239), Katie Piringer '04 (233), Sally O'Donnell '12 (187), Kelly Mitchell '14 (152), Karen Simos '04 (136), Lee Ann Lezzer '97 (134) and Regina Barrett '07 (121).
- Prior to tonight, Mitchell was the most recent Shorewoman to reach 100 career three-pointers as she achieved the milestone on December 29, 2012 at Montclair St.
- The senior, who entered the game with 98 threes, made three on the night and now has 101 for her career.
- Quattro had her third double-digit rebounding performance of the season with her 10 caroms.
12/3 v. Gettysburg – 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- Centennial home opener for the Shorewomen.