Grundy Scores 17 Points, Hands Out Eight Assists in Loss
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Dickinson College never trailed and held off a late rally by host Washington College en route to a 71-57 Centennial Conference women's basketball victory this afternoon inside Cain Athletic Center.
Dickinson 71, Washington College 57
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen fought back from an early 7-0 deficit to even the score at 11-11 on a step-back three-pointer by Ali Grundy with 3:12 to play in the first quarter. The Red Devils scored the final eight points of the period, however, to take a 19-11 advantage courtesy of a Mairead Donahue lay-up with 52 seconds to go.
- Dickinson took its biggest lead of the first half on a Jennifer Smith lay-up with 57 seconds to go before intermission, increasing the margin to 29-15, and held a 29-18 advantage at halftime.
- Three Red Devil three-pointers in the first two minutes of the third quarter opened up a 20-point bulge for the Red Devils at 38-18 following a triple by Helen Roberts. Washington scored the next eight points to get back to within 12 on a Jordan Weir three with 6:19 to go in the third, but Dickinson countered with a 9-0 run.
- A 13-2 run by the Shorewomen in the fourth quarter got them to back within 11 points at 62-51 on a Raley Hinton lay-up with 62-51 to go. Washington eventually closed to within 10 with 71 seconds on the clock, but that was as close as the Shorewomen would get.
For the Shorewomen (3-17, 0-14 Centennial Conference)
- Grundy had game-highs of 17 points and eight assists. Alexis Krahling added 13 points, while Hinto scored 11.
For Dickinson (12-7, 8-5 Centennial Conference)
- Roberts paced the Red Devils with 16 points. Smith added 11, while Mary Martin had a solid all-around game with eight points, a game-best 12 rebounds, and six assists.
- The Red Devils held a commanding 45-28 advantage on the boards.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
2/8 @ Ursinus - 7:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)