Grundy Scores 17 Points in Loss
WESTMINSTER, Md. — A 10-0 fourth-quarter run was finally enough to put some separation between host McDaniel College and visiting Washington College in the Green Terror's 58-47 Centennial Conference women's basketball win over the Shorewomen tonight. The Green Terror sit atop the conference's standings but were challenged by the Shorewomen, winless in the league, well into the fourth quarter.
McDaniel 58, Washington College 47
How It Happened
- McDaniel held an 11-5 lead after the first quarter and the Green Terror were up 20-9 with 6:59 left before halftime. The Shorewomen fought back with a 10-0 run to cut the margin to a single point at 20-19 on a traditional three-point play by Ali Grundy with 1:55 to go. The Green Terror scored the final five points of the half to take a 25-19 lead into the intermission.
- The Green Terror led, 31-24, early in the third quarter before Washington ran off a 10-2 run to briefly take a 34-33 lead on a pair of Ali Grundy free throws with 3:27 on the clock. Grundy scored all 10 of the Shorewomen's points in the run Halle Burgess countered with a three-pointer on McDaniel's next possession, however, and the Green Terror wound up with a 40-37 lead by the end of the period.
- The Shorewomen got back to within a single point at 42-41 on two Jordan Weir free throws 55 seconds into the fourth quarter. The Green Terror then took control of the game with 10 unanswered points in the next 3:44 as the lead grew to 52-41 courtesy of another Burgess three-pointer with 5:21 to go.
- Neither team would score again before Grundy lay-up cut the lead to 52-43 with 2:31 left. That was as close as the Shorewomen would get the rest of the way.
For the Shorewomen (3-11, 0-8 Centennial Conference)
- Grundy finished with 17 points in the game. Alexis Krahling added eight points for Washington, while Kat Moore and Raley Hinton shared team-high rebounding honors with six each.
- The Shorewomen held a 40-34 rebounding advantage in the game.
For McDaniel (13-3, 8-1 Centennial Conference)
- Lindsey Nichols scored a game-high 21 points, swiped three steals, and pulled down seven rebounds. Burgess connected on three of her five three-point attempts off the bench en route to 11 points, while Jasmine Smith had 10 points and seven rebounds for the victors.
- The Green Terror turned the ball over just eight times to the Shorewomen's 17.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
1/23 @ Ursinus - 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The scheduling of this game may very well be impacted by the impending winter storm set to arrive in the Mid-Atlantic area Friday afternoon or evening. Please check http://WashingtonCollegeSports.com later this week for an update on its status.