Grundy Scores 15 Points in Loss for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The ninth-ranked Muhlenberg College women's basketball team held host Washington College to 23.4% shooting from the field en route to a 74-45 win in a Centennial Conference game tonight inside Cain Athletic Center.
Muhlenberg 74, Washington College 45
How It Happened
- Muhlenberg held an 18-13 after the first quarter and opened the second by holding the Shorewomen scoreless for the first 7:09 of the period, extending the lead to 26-13 on a Sara Dilly free throw with 3:58 remaining.
- The Mules' lead grew to 14 points before Washington got back to within single digits at 29-20 on a pair of Ali Grundy free throws with 18 seconds to go. Rachel Plotke drained a three-pointer with seven seconds left in the half, however, to give the Mules a 32-20 advantage at the intermission.
- Muhlenberg shot 7-for-8 from the field in the third quarter, out-scoring the Shorewomen, 21-11, in the period to open up a 53-31 lead. The Mules led by at least that margin the rest of the way.
For the Shorewomen (3-9, 0-6 Centennial Conference)
- Grundy paced the Shorewomen with 15 points. Kat Moore scored seven points, brought down a team-best eight rebounds, and dished out three assists. Emily Thiemann added eight points.
For Muhlenberg (11-1, 6-1 Centennial Conference)
- Plotke shared game-high scoring honors with Grundy, netting 15. Brandi Vallely scored 12 points, handed out a game-best six assists, swiped a game-high six steals, and grabbed five boards. Christina Manning scored 12 points for Muhlenberg.
- Muhlenberg shot 45.6% from the field and held a 49-40 advantage on the boards. The Mules scored 14 fast-break points in the win, while holding the Shorewomen to zero.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
1/16 v. Franklin & Marshall - 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The Shorewomen and Diplomats split last year's season series, each winning on their own home floor.