Grundy Scores 12 Points in Loss
CARLISLE, Pa. — Host Dickinson College pulled away from visiting Washington College in the second half of a 65-43 Centennial Conference women's basketball victory this afternoon in Carlisle, Pa.
Dickinson 65, Washington College 43
How It Happened
- Dickinson held a 9-3 lead in the first quarter before a 9-1 run by the Shorewomen put them in front, 12-10, on a jumper by Emily Thiemann with 56 seconds left. Jonica Brown then connected on a three-pointer for the Red Devils with 14 seconds left to put Dickinson back ahead, 13-12.
- Neither team led by more than three points in the second quarter before a 7-0 run by Dickinson, capped off by a Kassidy Lesher lay-up with 1:33 to go, gave the Red Devils a 30-24 lead. Gabby Winsky knocked down a three for the Shorewomen with 42 seconds remaining, but a Helen Roberts three 31 seconds later re-established Dickinson's half-dozen advantage at 33-27 at halftime.
- After Washington opened the third quarter with an Ali Grundy three-pointer, the Red Devils out-scored the Shorewomen, 12-2, the rest of the period to take a 45-32 cushion into the fourth.
- Dickinson's run carried over into the fourth as Jonica Brown and Mackenzie Skerritt knocked down back-to-back three-pointers as the advantage grew to 19 points at 51-32 with 8:35 left. The Red Devils led by at least 13 and as many as 22 points the rest of the way.
For Dickinson (5-6, 2-4 Centennial Conference)
- Roberts led all scorers with 17 points, while Mary Martin had 12 points and five steals and Lesher tallied a double-doubles with 11 points and a game-best 10 rebounds. Skerritt finished with nine points, seven boards, and three assists.
- The Red Devils held a 43-35 advantage on the boards, including an 18-8 edge in the offensive end. Dickinson also forced 20 Washington turnovers while committing just 10.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
1/12 @ Gettysburg - 8:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)