Shorewomen Fall to Haverford, 6-3, then Gettysburg, 5-3, in Nine Innings
GETTYSBURG, Pa. — The Washington College softball team saw its season come to an end today with a pair of losses at the Centennial Conference Tournament at Bobby Jones field on the campus of Gettysburg College. The Shorewomen opened the day by falling to Haverford in the winners' bracket game, 6-3. Washington then lost to host Gettysburg, 5-3, in nine innings, in an elimination game.
Haverford 6, Washington College 3 (Centennial Conference Tournament)
How It Happened
- Emma Souter put the Fords on the board in the top of the first with a two-out RBI single to left to drive in Jessica Koshinski.
- Elaina DiPrimio drove in the Shorewomen's first run of the game with a single to left center, plating Leah Stokes with one out in the bottom of the third. DiPrimio later came around to score on a two-out error for a 2-1 Shorewomen lead.
- Maddie Bennett hit a two-out double to center in the bottom of the fifth to drive in Stokes for a 3-1 lead.
- Jessica Blake homered to left field to lead off the top of the sixth for Haverford to trim the margin to 3-2.
- Souter hit a two-out grand slam in the top of the seventh for a 6-3 Fords advantage. Temma Levis retired the Shorewomen in order in the bottom of the seventh to finish her complete-game win in the circle.
For the Shorewomen (17-21)
- Hitting: Harcum (3-for-4); Stokes (2 hits, 2 runs); DiPrimio (hit, run, RBI)
- Pitching: Taylor Harcum (loss, 6.2 innings, 8 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, walk, 2 strikeouts); Milly Kawabata (1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, walk); Bennett (0.1 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks)
For Haverford (21-11)
- Hitting: Souter (3-for-4, home run, 5 RBI, run); Blake (2-for-3, home run, 2 runs, RBI); Koshinski (2-for-4; 2 runs); Swisher (2-for-4, run)
- Pitching: Levis (7 innings, 8 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 0 walks, 6 strikeouts)
Gettysburg 5, Washington College 3 (9 innings - Centennial Conference Tournament)
How It Happened
- The Bullets plated two runs in the top of the first when Meredith Taylor reached on a fielding error.
- Harcum hit a two-out RBI triple down the right-field line to score Stokes and put Washington on the board in the bottom of the fourth.
- Shelby Baker drove in Taylor Doi with a double to right field in the top of the fifth for a 3-1 Gettysburg advantage.
- The Shorewomen evened the score on a two-out, two-run double to right center by Caroline Braungard in the bottom of the sixth.
- Wendy Folfas drove in Baker with a one-out single to right center in the top of the ninth and Taylor also scored on the play after an error for a 5-3 Gettysburg lead. The Shorewomen got a runner on with one out in the bottom of the ninth, but could not manage a run in the inning as the Bullets held on for the win.
For the Shorewomen (17-22)
- Hitting: Stokes (3-for-4, 2 runs); Braungard (2-for-4, 2 RBI, double); Harcum (2 hits, triple, RBI)
- Pitching: Bennett (4 innings, 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts); Harcum (loss, 5 innings, 5 hts, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts)
For Gettysburg (23-14)
- Hitting: Folfas (3-for-4, walk, RBI); Doi (2-for-4, 2 runs); Baker (double, run, RBI, walk)
- Pitching: Aileen Reilly (6 innings, 12 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 0 walks, 4 strikouets); Morgan Clauser (win, 3 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks)