HAMPTON, Va. — The Washington College sailing team opened its season with a third-place finish out of five teams at Hampton's Edward Teach Memorial Open this weekend. The regatta used combined scoring, scoring A and B Divisions together.
Edward Teach Memorial Open
Washington College Highlights
- Washington's B Division pair of skipper Will Sunkler and Ellie Lienert and its A Division duo of skipper Paul Hart and Andrew Vernon turned in nearly identical scores of 34 and 35, respectively, with Sunkler and Lienert taking third of 10 in the combined scoring and Hart and Vernon placing fourth.
- Sunkler and Lienert placed second in the third and sixth races and third in the fourth race. Hart and Vernon's best finish was second in the seventh race.
- Light and shifty winds on both Saturday and Sunday made for a challenging regatta as the breeze maxed out at seven knots. Four races were completed on Saturday and three on Sunday.
- Host Hampton won the regatta.
- This was Washington's first regatta under the guidance of first-year head coach Bradley Adam.
9/8&9 @ Philly Fleet Race (hosted by Penn)