Shoremen Top Keystone, 2-1, to Take Cup
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Junior forward Greg Adams (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake) scored the game-winning goal 33 seconds into the second overtime to give host Washington College a 2-1 win over Keystone in the final game of the Athey Cup this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 2, Keystone 1 (2OT)
How It Happened
- The Shoremen's Liam Mansfield had the first quality chance of the game, having a shot saved by Erick Gomez in the ninth minute.
- A a rebound shot to the opposite corner by Daniel Zuniga for Keystone went just wide of the goal in the 14th minute.
- James Strine took advantage of a defensive lapse by the Giants in the 27th, but his shot was stopped by a sliding Gomez.
- Keystone got on the board when MarDayus Bothwell took advantage of a loose ball in front of the goal after a throw in and found the back of the net at the 28:04 mark.
- The Shoremen evened the score at 1-1 when Joe Mutscheller headed in a corner kick from Ben Strine at the 31:57 mark.
- Ben Strine rang a free kick off the crossbar in the 35th for the Shoremen.
- Keystone's Ibrahim Tounkara sent a pair of shots wide in the 39th and 41st minutes, respectively.
- James Strine unleashed a shot outside the box that went just high after beating two defenders in the 64th minute.
- Kyle Gaeffke sent a high shot toward Gomez in the 86th minute, but Gomez fully extended to tip it up and over the crossbar. Adams then headed a ball just over the crossbar for the Shoremen in the 87th as the teams remained tied at 1-1 at the end of regulation.
- Jaylen Walters headed a free kick over the goal for Keystone in the 98th minute. Cole Gifford had a shot blocked out of bounds in the 100th minute for the Shoremen.
- Adams scored the game-winner after Gaeffke sent a pass ahead from 30 yards. Adams gave the ball one touch around 17 yards out and shot the ball into the right side of the goal for the win.
For the Shoremen (2-0)
- Scorers: Mutscheller (goal), Adams (goal), Ben Strine (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (0 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Shoremen finished with 18 shots and nine corner kicks in the win.
For Keystone (1-1)
- Scorers: Bothwell (goal)
- Goalkeeper: Gomez (8 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Giants tallied 10 shots and five corners in the game.
- Adams was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
- The Shoremen went 2-0 in the tournament. Keystone finished 1-1.
- Virginia Wesleyan rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat Allegheny, 3-2, in the first Athey Cup game of the day to claim third place in the tournament.
Greg Adams, Washington College
Gavin Campbell, Washington College
Sean Garin, Washington College
Evan Savoth, Washington College
James Strine, Washington College
Erick Gomez, Keystone
Andrew Lupinacci, Keystone
Jaylen Walters, Keystone
Jaron Berry, Virginia Wesleyan
Ikechukwu Etonyeaku, Virginia Wesleyan
Eddie Opalko, Allegheny
Danny Reid, Allegheny
9/6 @ Cabrini - 4:30 p.m.