Graham, Urbanski Score in Win for Shoremen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The host Washington College men's soccer team scored a goal in each half to improve to 2-0 this season with a 2-1 win over visiting Hood this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 2, Hood 1
How It Happened
- The Shoremen took a 1-0 lead at 32:24 when Brian Graham scored off a rebound following an initial shot by James Strine that was saved by Hood goalkeeper Danny Castillo.
- Graham nearly scored again in the 39th minute but his diving header was saved by a diving Castillo.
- Ricky Salgado's header in the 42nd was Hood's best chance in the first half, but Washington goalkeeper Josh Samuels poked it away up and over the goal.
- Christian Keller's point-blank header in the 50th minute was saved by a diving Castillo.
- Zack Urbanski doubled the Shoremen's lead when he switched feet and sent the ball in off the far post at 60:14. Aidan Kelly picked up an assist on the play.
- Hood got on the board when Salgado sent a well-placed cross to Clay Smith, who headed the ball in at 78:05.
- Samuels stopped a point-blank shot by Ryan Waugh in the 83rd minute. Smith missed a shot in front high in the 87th minute.
- Graham was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
For the Shoremen (2-0)
- Scorers: Graham (goal), Urbanski (goal), Strine (assist), Kelly (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Samuels (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Washington had a 13-9 advantage in shots in the game.
For Hood (0-1)
- Scorers: Smith (goal), Salgado (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Castillo (4 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Blazers held a 3-2 edge in corner kicks.
9/5 v. St. Mary's (Md.) - 7 p.m.