Shoremen Have Opened Season with Three Straight Shutout Wins for First Time Since 1947
ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. — Junior forward Chris Lewandowski (Pittsburgh, Pa./Mt. Lebanon) scored the game's only goal in the 95th minute as visiting Washington College downed host St. Mary's College of Maryland, 1-0, a non-conference men's soccer game this afternoon. The Shoremen have now started a season with three straight shutout wins for the first time since 1947.
Washington College 1, St. Mary's 0 (OT)
How It Happened
- Lewandowski's goal came at the 94:27 mark and was his third goal of the season.
- The first shot on goal for either team came in the 20th minute when Luke Barber had a Seahawk shot saved by Washington goalkeeper Josh Samuels.
- St. Mary's recorded all four of the game's first-half shots, including a shot by Alessandro Burlew that went off the post in the 44th minute.
- Samuels made his second save of the game in the 50th minute on a shot by Emmanuel Kanneh.
- Dimitri Kaliakin had the Shoremen's first shot of the game in the 51st minute, but it was saved by Zack Haussler. Haussler then saved a shot by Lewandowski in the 56th minute.
- Haussler came up with another save on a Lewandowski shot in the 60th minute and then two more on shots by Drew Thompson and Brian Wilkinson in the 72nd and 74th minutes, respectively.
- Lewandowski had a shot saved by Haussler in the 91st minute to open overtime. The Shoremen followed with three more shots that went wide or were blocked before Lewandowski's goal.
For the Shoremen (3-0)
- Scorers: Lewandowski (1 goal).
- Goalkeeper: Samuels (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 94:27)
- The Shoremen tallied 15 shots and nine corner kicks in the game.
- Wilkinson (five shots), Lewandowski (four), Thompson (four) combined for 13 of the Shoremen's 15 shots.
For St. Mary's (1-3)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Haussler (7 saves, 1 goals allowed, 94:27)
- The Seahawks had seven shots and three corner kicks.
- The only other time the Shoremen have opened the season with three straight shutout wins was in their second-ever season of 1947. They finished that season an unbeaten 8-0. The Shoremen opened the 1978 campaign with six consecutive shutouts, but the third game in that sequence was a scoreless tie.
- The last time the Shoremen started a season with three wins of any kind was in 1981. Their last streak of three straight shutout wins at any point in a season came in October 2006.
- The shutout for Samuels came in his first collegiate start in goal.
Up Next for the Shoremen
9/12 v. Albright - 4:00 p.m.
- The game against Albright will be the Shoremen's home opener.
- The Shoremen beat the Lions, 3-2, when the two teams met last season.