Shoremen Also Race in Championship Four, Club/Championship Eight
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. — The Washington College men's rowing team competed in three races at the Head of the Schuylkill regatta today in Philadelphia. An impressive seventh-place showing in the college frosh/novice eight highlighted the day for the Shoremen.
Head of the Schuylkill
How It Happened
- The frosh/novice eight's seventh-place time in their 22-boat race was 14:31.833. All six crews who finished ahead of them were from Division I schools. Navy, Drexel, and Virginia took the top three spots with times of 12:39.153, 12:48.439, and 13:27.139, respectively. The next-fastest crew from a non-Division I school in the race was Buffalo State, which finished 11th in 14:54.687.
- The Shoremen's entry in the men's championship four placed 27th of 37 crews in 15:50.523. They finished four spots ahead of Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference (MARC) rival Franklin & Marshall (31st, 16:22.425). New York Athletic Club won the race in 14:00.727, followed by two crews from Saint Joseph's who took second and third in 14:01.759 and 14:02.363, respectively.
- The Shoremen's entry in the men's club/championship eight placed 40th of 44 crews in 15:12.441. Penn won the race in 12:07.507, while two boats from Navy finished second and third in 12:16.599 and 12:22.329, respectively.
Shoremen Boat Lineups (in order of competition)
Championship Four: Alex Kincaid (coxswain), Grayson Searles (stroke), Brook Yimer (three), Nate Bonsib (two), Lee Potter (bow)
College Frosh/Novice Eight: Jack Lee (coxswain), Sean Curry (stroke), Ross Douglas (seven), Josh Turner (six), Max Moore (five), David Pitts (four), Andy Aris (three), Eric Botti (two), Henry Hawkins (bow)
Club/Championship Eight: Wesley Lawrence (coxswain), Karl Melchior (stroke) Bennett Truitt (seven), Evan Koch (six), Charles Snyder (five), Ben Masclans (four), Tyler Buchanan (three), Jack Maher (two), Ian Parks (bow)
- The Shoremen were also scheduled to have one entry in the college frosh/novice four and three in the championship pair, but those races were canceled due to high winds in the morning.
- 11/3&4 @ Head of the Hooch (Chattanooga, Tenn.)