Sloan Scores Four Goals
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Kevin Mollihan scored five goals and added five assists for a total of 10 points as visiting sixteenth-ranked Franklin & Marshall defeated host Washington College 18-10 in a Centennial Conference men's lacrosse game played today on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The Diplomats scored 10 straight goals during the game spanning from the middle of the second quarter to the beginning of the fourth quarter.
#16 Franklin & Marshall 18, Washington College 10
How It Happened
- Cooper Sloan got the Shoremen on the board with 10:36 left in the opening quarter on an unassisted goal.
- Mollihan tied the game up at 1-1 just 42 seconds later, and the Diplomats took a 2-1 lead on a goal from Shane McBride 49 seconds after the goal from Mollihan.
- Sean Reilly tied the game at 2-2, finishing an assist from Joe Tobin with 6:28 left in the quarter.
- Blake Target scored off a Mollihan assist with 55 seconds left in the quarter to give the Diplomats the lead for good at 3-2. The Shoremen won the next face-off, but Mollihan forced a turnover, scooped up the ground ball, and scored an unassisted goal with 39 seconds left to give Franklin & Marshall a 4-2 lead after the first quarter.
- An unassisted, man-up goal from A.J. Rigsby 21 seconds into the second quarter capped the 3-0 spurt and gave the Diplomats a 5-2 advantage.
- Sloan cut the lead to 5-3 with an unassisted goal with 8:49 left in the quarter, but the Diplomats finished the half on a 4-0 run, including man-up goals from Mollihan and Rigsby off of assists from George Briggs in the last 1:15 of the quarter, to give Franklin & Marshall a 9-3 lead at the halftime break.
- The Diplomats scored all six goals in the third quarter to build a 15-3 lead heading to the final quarter.
- Sloan stopped the run with an unassisted goal 46 seconds into the fourth quarter to set the score at 15-4.
- The Shoremen would go on to outscore the Diplomats 7-3 in the final quarter, including a pair of goals from Sloan and Jeremy Wilson to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (6-8 Overall, 3-3 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Sloan (4 goals), Wilson (2 goals, 1 assist), Trey Ritter (1 goal, 2 assists), Casey Grieves (1 goal, 1 assist), Reilly (1 goal), Matt Schellenger (1 goal), Tobin (2 assists), Nick Boyles (1 assist).
- Goalie: Chris Del Rosario (7 saves, 12 goals allowed, 33:35), Ryan Leahy (3 saves, 6 goals allowed, 26:25).
- Lawrence Park went 21-for-29 on face-offs and scooped up a game high 13 ground balls.
- The Shoremen outshot the Diplomats 43-40 and held a 35-29 advantage in ground balls.
For #16 Franklin & Marshall (10-4 Overall, 5-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Mollihan (5 goals, 5 assists), Rigsby (5 goals), Luke Keating (2 goals, 3 assists), Target (3 goals), Briggs (2 assists), McBride (1 goal, 1 assist), Rob Baxter (1 goal), Will DeMuth (1 goal).
- Goalie: Luke Mutterer (15 saves, 10 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Tommy O'Connor led the Diplomats on defense with seven ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- The Diplomats went 19-for-21 on their clear attempts and 3-for-3 on the man-up.
- Sloan was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the third time in his career.
- Grieves is one goal shy of 100 in his career.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/24 @ Swarthmore - 7:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)