Grieves Nets Six Goals in Win; Sloan Tallies Five Assists
FROSTBURG, Md. — Visiting Washington College scored 10 unanswered goals and rolled to a 18-9 win over host Frostburg State in non-conference men's lacrosse action today at Bobcat Stadium. Senior attackman Casey Grieves (Easton, Md./Sts. Peter & Paul) matched his career high with six goals and added one assist in the victory.
Washington College 18, Frostburg State 9
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored the first three goals of the game as Cooper Sloan found Casey Grieves for a goal 2:49 into the game, Sloan scored with 9:17 left in the first, and Grieves found Charlie Walker fora goal 2:07 later. The Bobcats cut the deficit to 3-2 as Jordan Edwards scored off a Matthew Ward assist with 6:07 to go and Jimmy Lucas scored with 4:16 to play in the period. Washington got both goals back before the end of the quarter thanks to a Joe Tobin goal at 3:22 and a Grieves goal off a Sloan assist with 1:51 left for a 5-2 advantage.
- The Shoremen dominated the second quarter, scoring all seven goals in the period. An goal by Grieves, his fifth of the first half, off an assist from Zack Gorrasi with 14 seconds left, gave the Shoremen a 12-2 advantage at halftime.
- Kevin Trapp opened the third-quarter scoring with a goal off a Trey Ritter assist 2:08 into the period to make it 10 unanswered goals for the Shoremen before the Bobcats finally stopped the run with a goal by Jason Clinton 31 seconds later. The Bobcats scored five of the final seven goals of the quarter, all told, as a Jake Howarth goal off a Clinton assist with 4:42 to go in the third trimmed the deficit to seven at 15-8.
- Neither team scored in the fourth quarter before Cody Pascale found the back of the net off a Ritter assist for the Shoremen with 6:20 remaining. Each team would score two goals after that to account for the final margin.
For the Shoremen (2-1)
- Scoring Leaders: Grieves (6 goals, assist); Sloan (2 goals, 5 assists); Pascale (3 goals; assist); Walker (goal, 2 assists); Trapp (2 goals); Sean Reilly (goal, assist); Ritter (2 assists)
- In Goal: Chris Del Rosario (11 saves, 9 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Del Rosario also had seven ground balls and a pair of caused turnovers in the win. The Shoremen held a 42-41 advantage in shots in the game and were 22-for-23 on clears, while the Bobcats were just 16-of-23.
For Frostburg State (1-1)
- Scoring Leaders: Ward (2 goals, assist); Clinton (2 goals, assist); Howard (2 goals); Lucas (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Jack Marks (12 saves, 17 goals allowed, 59:31); Cory McAndrew (0 saves, 1 goal allowed, 29 seconds)
- Sam Natvig went 15-for-20 on face-offs for the Bobcats.
- Grieves matched his career high with six goals; Sloan matched his career high with five assists.
3/9 v. Stockton - 1 p.m.